Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 and 10 bolt tie rods

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rick88blaze, Jan 5, 2004.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

will a dana 44 and a 10 bolt tie rod end interchange if they both have the same kind of knuckles? both of them have the straight tie rod ends that come up through the knuckle.

Rick

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep believe so /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have a 44 tie-rod on my 10b /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Only difference in some is where the steering stabalizer connects, either in the center on older d44's or on the driver's side

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Depends on what year the D44 and 10b are. Yes, they will fit in the holes, but certain years of tie rods have different bends and the knuckles on the 44 and 10 are different, too, making some fitment of the opposite tie rod not feasible to fit or run. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Depends on what year the D44 and 10b are. Yes, they will fit in the holes, but certain years of tie rods have different bends and the knuckles on the 44 and 10 are different, too, making some fitment of the opposite tie rod not feasible to fit or run.

[/ QUOTE ]

the D44 is out of a '76 and the 10 bolt is out of an '88. and they both have the straight tie rod. and the steering stabilizers are in the same spot.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no, i have found all this out the hard way recently

72-76 is one deisgn TRE's and then 77-80 is a new design, and then 81-87 is a third design, you have to stay within the year group K series steering parts. at least most of them anyways, including TRE setup, they went from center TRE bar with threaded ends 67-72 and 73-80 over to 77-80 with pass side long TRE with hole in it for stabilizer bolt(non tapered), and then to 81-87 with 9.6" long driver side TRE with hole in it for stabilizer bolt(tapered). and shorty straight pass side TRE

7. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I haved swaped a 1988 tie rod on 1977 dana 44. It fitted good. The problem with this swap the year of the dana 44. GM change the steering knuckle and which way the tie rod is mounted in 76-77.

73-76ish have the TRE mounted on the top, the streering stabilizer mount is in the center of the tie rod, and TRE have a drop to clear the spring. 76ist-up dana 44s tie rods have mounted on the bottom of the knuckle, the stabilizer hole is by the driver side wheel, and the TREs are straight.

As to R72K5 post about the stabilizer hole being straight or tapered, every stabilezer hole I have seen has been tapered. Just a differant style mounting stud for the stabilizer.

I should note, the tie rod assemblely I got from the 88 looked like the tie rod assembly of the 77 with the long driver side TRE. Not like usual 81and up. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Another note is 73-76ish years are also have flat top knuckles.