Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 and 14FF rebuilding

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, Jan 10, 2003.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Almost ready to go 3/4 ton. Got a pair of axles outta a 73 picku-up. Any suggestions on what to do to freshen em up while I got em on the floor? Is there a rebuild kit made for axles? Brake job is a definate, but not sure on the internals and the steering stuff. Anybody ever heard of an Eaton locker put in by Chevy? Was told thats whats in it but not sure if its factory or not. Also the 44 has the big Spicer hubs. Anything I need to do with them? Oh, is the 14 bolt going to fit an 82 Blazer or will I need to move the spring perches? Thanks for the help!!

Sam /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If it was a 3/4 ton the perches should be in the right place. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd pull them apart since it is easier in the shop then under the truck and check the bearings and seals, balljoints, etc. If form a 3/4 ton then they should bolt up fine but will needs a hybrid u-joint for the rear.

4. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Great help guys! Any source for the seals and stuff in like a kit form? I'm sure the Mitchell books have a good spec. sheet and whatnot...will have to cruise over to the library and burn some copys! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't know of anyone that makes a complete kit. But you can get all the bearings and seals at Autozone over on Austin Bluffs. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Hey Harry!! Haven't heard from ya in awhile! Did you get your axles done yet? We should hook up next week or somethin!

7. HarryH3

I got my Sub converted to 3/4-ton a couple of months ago! You need to stop slackin'! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Done allready!!?? Hmmm sounds like you don't have anything to do... Could use an extra set of hands when I'm ready to bolt em up!! Besides that your bigger than me!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Finally got a set of lift springs and shocks. Still need rear blocks wheels and tires though.. too expensive, thats what is takeing so long!! That and I'm trying to work all the mechanical stuff out while it still fits in the garage! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. HarryH3

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    sounds like you don't have anything to do...

[/ QUOTE ] You haven't seen what's left of the '88 Blazer that I'm stripping in the garage! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Not much left now but the frame and tub. Gonna haul the tub off to the junkyard as soon as I take off the 1 good rear quarter. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Hows the hood, front fenders, and doors? Lemme know if your gettin rid of parts before you junk em!! You might have somethin I need!! I'm goin to have to swing by this week or somethin. I'm off Mon., Wed., Fri. this week. Lemme know if thats cool with you!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. HarryH3

Most of the good stuff is gone. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The front clip is going on my '75. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Crap /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You suck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif jk