Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 and D60 driveshaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Dec 14, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Are the drive shafts for Dana 60's different than 44's? My front shaft is a little short and the slip shaft is a little worn so im trying to decide whether or not to bother with getting it fixed. If the driveshaft for a 60 is different im not going to bother with it until I swap my 44 out. If theyre the same I might just get a real good one made that ill still be able to use when I put the 60 in.

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

They are the same as long as your 60 has a 1310 yoke.I had to shorten my front shaft a bit also when I swapped in my 60.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Chevy front 60's have 1310 yokes (same as a 44). The pinion is longer on a 60 than a 44, so you will need a slightly shorter driveshaft (good for you, and most of us with any kind of lift if you are using the stock driveshaft).

4. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Ok so I will wait until I put my 60 in to get a new shaft made. But do they take the same u-joints? Should I get stronger u-joints? I know someone who makes driveshafts so I can get a good deal, but im wondering if I should upgrade the strength of the shaft from stock or not? My truck wont have bigger than 37 or 38 inch tires with built 350 or maybe 400 in it but I dont wheel it hard, I just want it to be stronger than stock. Ive heard of people building them of thicker steel or aluminum, should I try that?

5. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

6. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

I know this has nothing to do with the post but can you post a pic of your truck?

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yes, the Chevy front 60 and the Chevy 1/2 ton dana 44 use the same 1310 series u-joint. Buy spicer u-joints. I would not bother replacing your driveshaft until you start blowing up joints (it probably won't be an issue for you). Aluminum driveshafts do not belong on 4x4's.

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The newer HD Chevy trucks have aluminum shafts IIRC. I know the Vans do.

If he starts "blowing up joints" then a new driveshaft won't help. Larger joints would. But who blows up driveshaft joints anyway? If your angles are set up properly, and bind isn't an issue, something else will break first.

9. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status