Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d44 aussie locker up front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atlantak-5er, Jan 28, 2004.

1. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I am interested in the above. I can only afford one locker right now and the aussie seems to be a good choice. They say if you can only get one locker, it is better to put it in the front (b/c hillclimbing, reduce front wheelspin, etc.). But, I find it interesting that they say this because they dont offer one for my rear 12 bolt! What do you think, get it in the front?
    I use my truck for camping, offroading, trips to home depot, and other outdoor adventures that sometimes require 2-3 hr. drives.

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

yes i say front because if you drive it on the 2-3 hour trips you may not want a rear locker. My powertrax no-slip changes the driving characteristics of the k5, say your crusing at 60% throttle, and you let off fully, it may suddenly pull semi hard to the left, and if you gas it from 0 throttle to say 50% on the freeway it will probably pull to the right semi hard, so for a DD i say front and leave the hubs unlocked on streets.

3. atlantak-5er

good point.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

WHen you are climbing a hill the weight transfers off the front and more to the rear. Gravity pulls straight down, regardless of the angle of the truck. Lock the rear if you are only going to one. Mine was a DD for years w/ a rear locker. You get used to it. Stock w/ 3.08s & 31s and 4" lift w/ 4.56s & 35s. It is not bad.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    WHen you are climbing a hill the weight transfers off the front and more to the rear. Gravity pulls straight down, regardless of the angle of the truck. Lock the rear if you are only going to one. Mine was a DD for years w/ a rear locker. You get used to it. Stock w/ 3.08s & 31s and 4" lift w/ 4.56s & 35s. It is not bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
    if the weight transfers off the front and more to the rear,then you already have better traction in the rear from the added weight and your more likely to pull a tire up in the front, there for a locker would aid you more in the front and keep you moving wouldnt it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I would vote for the rear too. A locked rear end will go many places, and do a lot towards not needing 4wd ( /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif)

If you happen to break something in the rear, it would be easier to trail fix. Carry extra axles, or just one instead of the whole gammut of things that may be needed for the front axle.

JMHO /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll 2nd the rear comment. Front lockers can make it hard to steer. If you can only afford one locker, the rear is definitely the way to go.

If your rear locker is pulling you all over the place, you're just not used to it yet. Once you get used to it, it will rarely induce handling characteristics that are undesirable.

I have a Lock-Right in the rear of my DD, and I wouldn't have anything else...I drive in ice and snow, too. I'd thought of removing it for winter, but I like it better with the locker than without--I find it much more predictable to have both rear tires spinning instead of just one. I rarely even engage 4wd on my DD as a result.

8. bigjbear

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    if the weight transfers off the front and more to the rear,then you already have better traction in the rear from the added weight and your more likely to pull a tire up in the front, there for a locker would aid you more in the front and keep you moving wouldnt it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    He lives in GA that means local wheeling will be in red clay and on wet granet. Traction is always limited here. There is more contact pressure on the rear tires from weight transfer, but not nesscarily better traction. After driving my friends '76 K5 that was set up very similar to mine w/ exception of him being locked in the front & me in the rear I am happy w/ my choice.

9. atlantak-5er

I ordered the front locker. It was only $259.00. We'll see how it does. I orded it for these reasons:

1. I dont belive it will affect my driveability. If i dont have my truck in 4WD and the hubs free, how will the locker affect my steering?

2. The way I look at a hillclimb, I see most of the weight on the rear wheels, so the un loaded front w/ an open diff can spin very eaisly which will immediatelty transfer ALL the load to the rear wheels and possibly cause them to spin. So if I lock the front and eliminate the wheelspin, it will not transfer all of the load to the back. Basically I chose this to eliminate front wheelspin.

We'll see if all of this theroy works out at the trails!

Hey Big J when does Anderson Creek re-open?

10. bigjbear

I don't know when it will reopen, I haven't been up that way wheeling since the spring. The last few times I was in the area I was hiking, so I stayed away from the ORV trails. If its going to managed like Bisley Knob it will reopen in the spring. Try contacting Southern Jeeps, the are the ones that were going to do adopt-a-trail on it. They were trying to become a more active club ( /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ) and this was one of their first major efforts, IIRC.

11. atlantak-5er

Thanks man, let me know the next time you guys go wheelin' I should have my truck ready to go by mid-march. I definately want to head to Tellico this year. Later. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. bigjbear

OK, this Sat if I get my PS pump changed & its not pouring.

13. atlantak-5er

yeah, if you go, PM me, I can take the tahoe. it gets pretty far back in the woods belive it or not.

14. bigjbear

This will be more of a shake down run, you shouldn't have any problems.