Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 Axle seals HELP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bouncytruck, Jul 23, 2002.

1. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I started to put my front axle back together when I realized that I was missing the seal between the housing and the axle itself (a PO didn't bother to put them in last time they tore it down!). According to the books at NAPA, the seal should be #13165 but it doesn't fit. I tried a national #5131 at CarQuest and it is the exact same seal NAPA has (even stamped with 13165) Does anyone know what Part Number I need to be looking for? I'm getting desparate - suns out and I want to drive the beast again!
    /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What exactly do you mean "it doesn't fit"? The seal too big around, or what?

3. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Im not sure how much you know about axles, but there is no outer tube seal on a D44. Don't know if that's what you were talking about or not. If not I didn't mean to insult your knowledge. I have had friends call me all frustrated 'cause they couldn't find an outer tube seal (like on a rear axle) for their front...It's funny when they realize the seal is inside next to the pumpkin. Just a thought....

4. bouncytruck

Well, I guess I'm an insult to my own intellegence. That is exactly what I was looking for! Now I know why there were no seals when I tore it apart and why the seals almost fit. THANKS! Now I can get it back on the road.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Do you still have your original closed knuckle axle or a newer open knuckle? That will make a difference also.

6. bouncytruck

It is an open knuckle with disc brakes. I wasn't pulling the gears, I just had the axles out to replace the ball joints. Everything in the pumpkin looks nice and clean so I'm going to leave it alone for now. The part numbers were for everything from 68-79 or something like that. Thanks again!