Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 axle shafts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by killerbugsbunny, Aug 20, 2003.

1. killerbugsbunny

killerbugsbunny Registered Member

Ok, here it is. I just installed a detroit electrictrac in the front of my 90 K5. It now has a d44. I totally destroyed the driver side axleshaft. Ripped the ears off the both shafts. It all was just rebuilt.New bearings thru out. Now I'm finding very hard to find any replacement shafts. I know I should upgrade to after market shafts, but the funds are tight right now.
    My question is -Is there any other brands of vehicles that interswap with the front diff? that will work for now??
    I was eyeing up a wagoneer the other day with a d44 front diff, but I'm just not sure. Any help would be helpful.

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

i believe the stub shafts for a 10 bolt will work. you will just have to find the inner shaft. just count the splines and you should be good to go.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The wagoneer will not work.
    You need a GM shaft.
    Bone Yard......

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

shouldnt be that hard to find.... dont you canadians have junkyards?

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The stubshafts should be easy to find as they interchange with the GM 10-bolt. On the other hand, the inner Dana 44 shafts are a little harder to find. As far as I know, only the shaft from Dana 44 in a GM will work as most others are different lengths (Fords, Jeeps, etc...). Also, GM hasn't used a front Dana 44 since the late-70's so they are kind-of thin in the junkyards by now.

6. bigblock44k5

damn, the junkyard by me has a crapload of 44's. but crappy prices.

7. killerbugsbunny

killerbugsbunny Registered Member

Yah, there boneyards here. But they want close to 200 hundred dollars for a inner shaft only. The outer is more.
    If I'm going to spend that kind of money I would rather buy aftermarket shafts.But like the tread says the funds are really tight right now. I guess I will see what happens. This right now is the least of my worries right now. We are currently threaten with forest fire taking a chunk of our town in Canada. Maybe you have heard of the forest fires in Kelowna B.C. Canada. Really scary right now. The shitty thing thing is there is a old truck in the bush where fire is and it has what I need. I don't think it will make it.
    [I love Jeeps] happens I guess.

8. bigblock44k5

the junkyard here wants 200 for the whold diffrential. about 50 bucks for each axle(inner and outer). by the way that truck you talk about in the fire, im sure the axle will still be good after the fire. just check for bluing from heat.

9. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

After the fire runs its course get down there real quick and grab the shafts outta that truck. I don't think the guy who owns it will even notice that his shafts are gone when his truck is melted to the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You can get brand new Spicer D60 inners for less that $100. I just bought both inners and both 35 spline stub outers for $250... New is not that expensive, most yards want nearly new cost if they pull it (if they will even break up the axle). IMO, the only way to make out on used shafts (other than a bud hooking you up) is U-Pull-it or Ecology half-off day...