Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 Ball joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pitviper, Feb 11, 2005.

1. pitviper

pitviper Newbie

Alright I'm tinkering with my truck and I come to find that I have grenaded my pass. side axle shaft and u-joint. No biggy, I can fix that what I need to know is, is the lower ball joint supposed to be positioned with the nut and stud facing up or down. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about beause it looks like that is what ate the u-joint and shaft.

2. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Both studs should be pointing up.

3. keep your nuts up!

why dont you just look at the otherside

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, nuts up! It is possible that if your u-joint was worn that it was the cause of the failure. Worn parts and abuse cause most failures that I have experienced. I run a D44 and 38's with no problems.

5. pitviper

pitviper Newbie

ok, yeah I guess I could have looked at the other side I never thought about it though. Now my problem is getting the steering knuckle off, what do I need to get those ball joints out of there so I can get my shaft, well shafts now, out of there.

6. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I could be wrong, but I don't think you need to remove the knuckles to get the axles out. I just re-did my D44 last year and I don't think the knuckles had to be removed. Matter of fact I think you need the axles out to torque the lower ball joint nut...

As for removing the knuckle, I used a pickle fork. It destroyed my old ball joints, but I was replacing them anyway.

Scott

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

This should help you out.