Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 big lockouts VS. small

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Dec 9, 2002.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 8 lug dana 44 with 4.10 gears, flat top knuckles. My question is what do I have to change to use my small style mile marker hubs. Just the bearing hub or is the spindle different from big lockout to small.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You just have to change the bearing hub if you stay with a 1st design hub (71-76). If you want to use the later hub you will also have to change the spindle to a 77-91 part.

3. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

so you can get the small hub in any of the years just as long as you get the correct hub for your spindle.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I take back what I said before...
    I don't think GM ever made 3/4 ton small (internal) hubs.
    I think they were all large (external) with the 1st design spindle...so you would have to get 77-up hubs and spindles.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think that's right. The first design 44's take the external hub while the second design 44's (and all the 10-bolts) take the internal hub.

6. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

On the first design axles, either the internal or external locking hub can be used. The '73 Dana 44 I bought came with the internal locking hubs (spicer). The locking hubs i have now are the external locking hubs (pro-comp). The only difference was that there was a 1" thick spacer between the axle hub and the locking hub. In order to use the external locking hubs, that 1" spacer had to be removed. The original spicer hubs actually sat inside that spacer. To my knowledge, the small 2nd design locking hubs cannot be mated to the first design axle spindles. Hope this helps!

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've always considered those big Spicer hubs to be external, since they bolt to the outside of the bearing hub. Internal hubs are only held to the truck by the wire clips internal to the bearing hub housing. Without those, the entire hub assembly can be removed, even if the "dial" part of the hub is screwed into place. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Ah, ok i see now. I stand corrected!