Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d44 build up or buy built/locked 10bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atlantak-5er, Nov 18, 2003.

1. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

First of all, I never plan to have tires larger than 36"; probably stay with 35". My truck serves as my outdoors moblie. I take it fishing and camping and sometimes put a canoe on the roof, so I dont want it any bigger! I go offroading in it but it is not only a trail rig. I do plan to put lockers in it.

Here are my questions. I have found a 10 bolt w/ a locker, cross over steering (dont really need/want it), and new brakes for $500.00.

1). Should I get this or put $700 into my d44 to get it up to par(i.e locker and ctm joints)?

2). Is the d44 stonger/better than a 10 bolt? Why?

2. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

If the 10 bolt has the right gears then definitely grab it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif If for some reason you really don't want the crossover steering you could remove and sell it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif and put on your arm and draglink setup.

I don't think the D44 is any better than a 10 bolt. Same size shafts, comparable ring and pinion and carrier, same from the knuckles out.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, go with the 10 bolt. they are equal in strength. Keep the crossover steering... even with 35s and modest lift, it sux not being able to steer just because your drivers side tire is droopin'

j

4. atlantak-5er

How much more will I have to spend to get the crossover conversion finished? New steering box? what else?

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    How much more will I have to spend to get the crossover conversion finished? New steering box? what else?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on what the guy includes... you said it has "cross over steering"... but didnt specify if that meant it was just set up for x-over (flatop knuckle + x-over steering arm) or if the guy is offering the whole shebang (the above plus the draglink, pitman arm and/or tie rod)... so its hard to say what you'll need without more info.

If he sold you the complete system, all you'd need to do is swap sector shafts in your steering box or get a 2wd one from a yard/parts store.

j

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The only thing that a Dana 44 is better than a 10 bolt in is that the case on a Dana 44 is nodular cast iron instead of gray cast iron.

What's it got in it for a locker? If it's a Detroit then it's worth the $500 because a Detroit for a ten bolt is $540.

7. atlantak-5er

jekbrown- it has the knukle machined and an arm w/ some worn out heim joints on it??? So probably not worth gettting everything else to me.

cybersnyper- He claims it has a detroit in it.