Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d44/d60 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Nov 19, 2003.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i just got the ford dana 60 i ordered, and i'm starting to wonder whether or not its actually a D60 and is instead a d44. the diff seems more rounded than the 60s ive seen online. anyway, did any version of the D44 come with kingpins in the knuckle? i would post a picture, but it's at a friend's house (he has a shop, i dont).

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    did any version of the D44 come with kingpins in the knuckle?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO they didn't....you can also tell by looking at the lower right web when looking at the diff cover, it will either say 44 or 60 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    did any version of the D44 come with kingpins in the knuckle?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO they didn't....you can also tell by looking at the lower right web when looking at the diff cover, it will either say 44 or 60 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well actually D44's started out with king pins /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif But they are easy to tell apart because they have closed knuckles and drum brakes too.

I guess I should have mentioned this was for D44 FRONT axles in my post to be 100% acurate /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Wouldnt want anyone telling me D44 rear axles have drum brakes and no king pins /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well actually D44's started out with king pins /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifBut they are easy to tell apart because they have closed knuckles and drum brakes too.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

cool, thanks yall /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

old old old cherokees and some (i think) fords came king pin and drums---i have see a 44 king pin'd disk'd open knuckel though, but i dont know if it was converted somehow.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

69 and older chevy are closed knuckle and drum, most 70-uchevy are open with disc starting for 71

69 and 70 were conversion to open knuckle years, some open and some closed

if its open knuckle and is disc brake then that would be what you want

plus in 1970 the GM rear axles got 1.5" wider, so the front axles probably went longer too i imagine in order to keep the front wider like usual

facing front of axle look onlower driver side corner webbing of diff housing look for 44 or 60 raised big numbers