Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44/D60 questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Sep 19, 2003.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

My 1990 K5 rear 10 bolt has 250K miles on it and needs to be rebuilt. I have a lead on a 1972 F$%d F250 front and rear diffs for free. Anybody know what the challenges are? I guess they are 4:11 or 4:56 with some kind of lockers front and rear.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The biggest challenge is the fact that the Ford front drops on the driver's side instead of the passenger side, so you'd have to change t-cases to run the front axle.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think the '72 Ford axles will have closed knuckles and drum brakes. Ford didnt go to open knuckles w/ disc brakes until much later than GM. If it is a closed knuckle axle up front I would tell you to pass on it. Not worth messing with unless the gears are worth saving for another axle.

The rear axle you want to measure the WMS to WMS and compare it to your current truck. I believe used a very narrow rear axle up to '72. Another down side is the coarse spline count on the axle shafts, spring perches at 40" centers, shock mounts in wrong places...

The plus side to the Ford front axle is the high pinion which is much stronger than what GM and Dodge were using in the low pinion. You can get a GM drivers side t-case to fit your transmission and run a Ford axle. The Ford front axle is basically a bolt in, into a GM 4x4 as well.

4. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I'll get a better look at it when it gets here.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Look them over carefully. Ford used many variations on the same axle per application. I have a Ford D60 rear, and two GM axles, and the Ford axle is beefier.

Measure yours, then measure them and decide from there.