Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 Front Axle Rebuild Questn

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by florida4x4, Sep 21, 2002.

1. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Alright, I finally have a new set of gears, power-lok, master kit bearings, seals, washers, ball joints and beer all in one place and its time to do the install. Only problem is I cant decide to build the 1/2 ton axle I have in the garage or to build the "3/4" ton under the truck. Is there any strength difference in the 3/4 vs 1/2 or should I just moove the 8-lug stuff when it's time to swap in the axle? It'll be a hell of a lot easier to build and swap plus I get to drive the dang thing while I do it...

For all you guys that will say get a D60 you can drop one off here anytime free of charge. Yeah, I'll supply the beer and mud bog.

TIA!

2. Brian85gmc

Brian85gmc Registered Member

if they are both the same spline count then I think the only difference would be the 8 lug hubs on the HD. Maybe the shafts or joints are stronger, but I don't think so.

Ring gear is the same so........if your gonna beef one or the other up, go with the one with the higher spline count and lug pattern you want. the one out of the truck.

my .02

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I believe that as far as the axle goes they are entirely them same from the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks. The only things that are different are spindles, backing plates, hubs, etc... (I don't know all of what is different exactly, but there is a really nice tech article in the tech section of this site... it lists EVERYTHING about the swap that you'll have to do if you build the 1/2 ton). If I were you, I'd do the one you have in the garage, you'll be able to get it done at your leisure, clean the axle up a bit, and take your time so that everything goes together right. Plus you won't have to lay on the ground and do the swap /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks fellahs, this is what I thought. I build axle in garage..