Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 Girdle? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigburban383, Jan 22, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I have seen pictures of 10-bolts snapping after a jump, so wouldn't a D44 do the same. I ask this because I heard something about D44's housing being stronger. I have a suburban + I like to baha = snapped axle. Now if I add an axle girdle in the equation it should prevent that, eh?

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You're talking about the one that use threaded rods to put tension on the tubes, right? I don't believe in them. I think if you want one it should be a truss that goes from the spring perches to the top of the case.

Anyway...

Dana 44s are made of nodular cast iron. 10 bolts are made of gray cast iron. The case on a 10 bolt is really weak in comparison to the tubes. I suspect that it's a 50/50 chance of breaking either on a Dana 44.

3. bigburban383

Yeah, thats what I meant, TRUSS the axle.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have seen a D44 break in half too. Anything will break if you jump it hard enough.

If you're gonna do that stupid crap, get a 2wd truck.

5. bigburban383

I don't really plan on ever jumping the truck, its just like when your tryin to get up a really steep hill and your front end keeps poppin up on ridges and what not.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't really plan on ever jumping the truck, its just like when your tryin to get up a really steep hill and your front end keeps poppin up on ridges and what not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your tires and springs can absorb that.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

YES the D44 will also snap!! been there. messy!! I run a truss on my truck.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've seen a D60 snap. Of course that was one NASTY rig that got like 30 feet of air on pavement. Wish I still had that video... Someone probably remembers what I'm talking about, think it was a Yota Buggy. Someone around here knew him, whether it was white knight or not I can't remember.

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

10. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is jumping stupid? Maybe we don't all like going .000023mph over rocks.

11. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That didn't last long /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What ya need to do is if you are going to be airing it out is to have a custom truss built for it. There's a lot more to a truss than putting some piece of crap up to the axle and bolting it on.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Bubba is quite right, those bolt on things bend when they hit a rock crawling can't expect them to be that great for you. A nice over axle truss setup welded on would be much better in my opinion.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bubba is quite right, those bolt on things bend when they hit a rock crawling can't expect them to be that great for you. A nice over axle truss setup welded on would be much better in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over axle is best, but has a trade-off. Under axle is stronger, but like you said, it takes some ground clearance, not enough for me to whine about it, but it's all what the person wants. And of course, there's a right way to do it since the design is critical and although I've never read that there's a difference, with a full 'bodied' truss, that's a lot of welding on the housing and most recommendations I've gotten is to use an axle jig when doing it.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That didn't last long /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Jumping isn't stupid in general, but flying a 4wd truck 30 feet off the ground means certain failure with a solid axle up front.

What I was referring to is using a 4wd truck beyond its means to absorb such an impact, which is intentionally damaging.

I'm all for high speed stuff. I enjoy the high speed part of this sport more than anything else. I just cannot stand to see someone destroy perfectly good parts for no reason.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is jumping stupid? Maybe we don't all like going .000023mph over rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only played in rocks once. Jumping is cool. Like I said above, I'm a big fan of the high speed part of this sport. I just think senselessly destroying good parts is a ridiculous way to 'wheel.

Every rig has limitations. A big ones for ours is that while our suspensions might flex pretty well, once they bottom out, our axle housings themselves don't offer very good flex.

18. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Solid axle fronts are not the best design for jumps. However, to limit oneself to the original designs would be very limiting, and hardly the spirit of CK5. We're all here cause we don't like being told "Can't be done" or "nobody makes that particular part for your application".

We didn't like hard riding rear lift springs, and didnt want the axle wrap of blocks- so some ingenious person make flips that work.

We didn't like not having a sway bar on road, but hated having one off- so someone made disconnects

Anyways, in the spirit of finding a solution, I know that in the past, there was some write up (and some trucks made) that were SFA desert runners. If your talking about bouncing while going up a hill, I wouldnt worry. If your talking about that extra safety margin, then go ahead, get a truss.

http://mo-offroad.com/, They make some awesome trusses, and I hear they have one for the 10b/d44 fronts.

A flexy soft setup and good shocks will also go a long way on absorbing the load.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Good point, and very well stated.

In the true spirit of CK5, definitely go out and do something that someone says is impractical or impossible.

20. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

They told me it was impossible to have a rodent powered truck. I have plenty of these guys running around, if I cant have a rat motor, why cant I have a squirrel motor??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif [image]http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/i/10816056709_468.jpg?ext=.jpg&border[/image]