Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 hub/ axle question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I busted a pass side axle yesterday and seemingly a hub as well. :frown1:
    It was fun tho in the deep snow up till then! :saweet:

Anyways, was wondering if all 30 spline D44 axle shafts are the same length on the short side and the outer? My buddy has a D44 from a Wagoneer, and is going to give me the short side setup if i can use it. I know the long side inner is shorter than GM, but what about the short inner? If its 30 spl, will it work? Are all the outers the same length? Hope so! :thinking:

Also, I need to pick up a new hub set for the thing. Its a 8 lug D44 3/4T diff, and the manual hubs are sort of an older style... not like the Warn ones you can buy. The outer cap comes off with 6 really short allen head screws, then the rest of the hub comes off with 6 1/2" nuts. I hadnt seen this type before, so what do I ask the parts store for? Are these the normal type on 8 lug D44s? Or is this a special case?

Thanks a lot.:thumb:

Mike

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sounds like an external hub, some parts stores have them in stock others have to order them.

3. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status