Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 Hub Woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by toy4x4runner, Oct 3, 2005.

1. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

For some reason my hubs don't really fit my truck. I can't get the cover on all the way in. If I remove the large circular ring they fit fine. I'm running MileMarker SS premium hubs. For some reason I thought hubs were supposed to go in/out easily. Mine are a PITA. WTF?

2. virgilh

virgilh 1/2 ton status

hubs

what truck are you running? what hubs did you remove? is it about 1/8-1/16 inch shy of fitting? if you removed auto locking hubs there might be a hub nut thats thicker than it needs to be. the auto hubs used a set of tongs on the washer that caught the auto hub flange some of the auto hubs were to short so a thicker nut was used to space the washer up to fit in the hub. pull the hub nuts out to see if the inner nut is thicker if it is you need to get a set of thin nuts with the little tit on it so you can use the washer correctly. i hope i helped

3. toy4x4runner

it's under a '94 toyota 4runner. I pulled it from a '72 blazer from a bone yard. Yes it's about 1/16" shy of fitting. If I don't run the large circle ring they fit great. I'm running the center shaft lock ring. do I need the larger circle ring? Are the Dodge, GM and ford axles all the same? b/c I'm starting to wonder if it's a dodge axle but was under a Chevy?? Either way, When I got it it had manual hubs... crusty plastic peices of junk on there. the wheel nuts are pretty thick. both are the same thickness. inner and outer.

I did a set of hubs on my buddy's 80 bronco and his hubs slipped right in/out. for some reason the actual hub body on mine is hard to get in and out! Oh boy....

4. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem installing a set of Warn hubs on a 73' Dana 44. I called Warn and they sent me a snap ring with an offset that allowed the hubs to tighten up all the way.

5. toy4x4runner

Well i'm just running the snap ring on the Axle shaft. I'm not using the Large Circular ring.. just didn't look right in there. Now my hubs snug right up against the wheel hub :D For some reason it takes a lot of force to get the hub body in/out of the wheel hub. I use an old hub cover for a pulling/tapping tool. How easy are these hubs supposed to go in/out of the wheel? I'm starting to think the wheel hubs I have are beat up pretty good. Where can I get a new hub assembly? I think Autozone sells each hub assembly for $60ea. I'm going to repack my bearings in Nov, so I might look into buying new wheel hubs. I wish I had more experience with the D44 :doah: .. I'm used to Aisin parts... lol.