Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d44 knuckle compatibilty

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, Jan 6, 2001.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

will 1/2 and 3/4 ton knuckles on a d44 interchange? planning on a crossover ill make with my own machined parts. also, should i use heim joints or ball joints/rod ends? should i make my drag link out of tubing or solid bar? ill entertain everyones ideas......

2. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I would say that the knuckles are the same but I do know that the way the tie rod attaches are different. Some come in from the bottom and older ones come in from the top. I don't have any years sorry. Next I would use Tie Rods because they work better and you can get them any where in the country. Take a look at the picture, that is if I post it right.[​IMG]

You can see I hope that the tie rod moves better that a hiem joint. Also use hollow tubing because it is stronger than solid rod.

Donovan

3. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

i thought so about the tubing.......btw, the mounting holes might or might not be a problem, depending on whether i mount the tie rod above the springs or not(probably)

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey Donovan, nice comparison between tie rod ends and heims. Why on earth would anyone want to run heims?? I am an advocate of tie rod ends, as you say they are available anywhere should you need one out in the boonies. Is that particular end you picture of a higher angle variety? It sure does look like it, if it is, do you have the part #? Thanks.

ken

5. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Ken you would not believe what that came off of. It is the drag link on your chevy. That is right the stock drag link so all you would have to do get a tube and thread it for the tie rods. Then do the normal cross over steering stuff. Goto Autozone they have lifetime warranty tie rods so I am told.

Donovan

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

People run heim joints sometimes because you can drill a straight hole and bolt it up where if you use a tie rod you have to have a tapered hole. Heim joints also take up less room in clearance critical areas. Other than those to instances I would always go with the tie rod.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken