Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 leaking, what needs replaced?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Dec 13, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

While I was working under my blazer this weekend I noticed the lower ball joint on the driver's side was covered in fluid coming from the end of the axle tube.

I assume there is a seal in the axle that should prevent this. How do I replace it? My Chiltons doesn't address it, so I'm assuming it isn't going to be easy.

Also, does anyone have an exploded view of a front D44?

Thanks

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I believe there is a seal ont he inside of the axle tube right after the carrier. If you pull your cover and the carrier, it should be just past where your carrier bearings would sit...

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is a seal on either side of the carrier in the tube that seals against the axle to prevent gear lube from leaving the pumpkin housing.

They are not "difficult" to replace but it may take some time if you've never done one before (and especially if things are rusted). To replace them you need to:

Remove:
    Wheel/Tire
    Locking hub
    Hub/Rotor (which requires a special spindle nut socket*)
    Dust Shield/Caliper bracket
    Spindle
    Axle

Once those are removed you remove the differential cover (and let the gear lube drain), remove the 4 carrier bearing cap bolts (marking which cap goes on which side and which orientation), this will allow you to remove the carrier, and then you will have access to the seal(s).

If one is leaking the other is probably not too far behind, so it is best to do both. It also gives you a chance to inspect the axle ujoints, ball joints (now is the time to change them**), calipers, pads, etc while you are taking things apart.

Installation is the opposite of removal.

*The spindle nut socket can usually be borrowed from your local AutoZone or parts store. You may also look into borrowing a seal driver tool for installing the new seals.

**The balljoints will require a press and a special 4 prong tool to set preload. Both of which should be able to be borrowed from the local parts store.

Hope this helps

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.:thumb:

Sounds about like I thought it might be.

I agree, I would like to replace anything that would be a good idea while I've got it all torn apart. I hate having to do that much tear down numerous times.

I will definitely do both seals and the axle shaft u-joints. I'm also thinking that the ball joints would be a good idea.

I swapped these axles in from my bro-in-law's '76, and we have no idea what kind of miles/use they have on them.

I just had a shop redo the entire rearend, and after spending that kind of $$$$, I would rather do this one myself.