Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 Moser stub shaft bites the dust. with pic

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Apr 13, 2003.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I was playing in 2 ponds on a friends property well I talked him into going in the deep end well he got stuck. So I got above him on the hill and started to winch him out. well the clucth linkage came apart on his truck so he couldn't help the winch so I tried pulling in reverse with my truck and useing the winch also. Well his 5500 lb truck and the load put on mine, blew the driver's side moser stub shaft wich took the mile marker hub with it. I guess the new 5-760 u-joints are stronger than the 297's since it did not break. But I did find out that my quick loc locker works since it kept the other front spinning after the stub broke. Here is a pic just wanted to give ya the story with it.
    [​IMG]

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ouch. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

everytime somone asks if you can make a 44 as strong as a 60, post this pic please ;P

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Nice! thats quality breakige. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

ya a D44 isn't as strong as a D60, but with 39.5" tires, while winching a 5500lb truck and pulling it in reverse you can't expect to not break something.

You are asking a hell of a lot of the D44, even with mosers, by running 39.5" tires. ORD states that 38's is about the max for the alloys, even with a talented driver.

But 39's in reverse pulling a stuck 5500lb truck is very hard on any driveline. You are asking a 1/2 (even a beefed) axle to pull most of the weight of your truck with 39.5's and a locker, connected to a stuck 5500lb truck. I personally would be very leary of doing that with my 32's on stock axles with my locker.

Very quality breakage though. I am glad to see the 760 joints hold up well, and that you can put that much stress and load on an alloy axle before it snaps.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I was playing in 2 ponds on a friends property well I talked him into going in the deep end well he got stuck. So I got above him on the hill and started to winch him out. well the clucth linkage came apart on his truck so he couldn't help the winch so I tried pulling in reverse with my truck and useing the winch also. Well his 5500 lb truck and the load put on mine, blew the driver's side moser stub shaft wich took the mile marker hub with it. I guess the new 5-760 u-joints are stronger than the 297's since it did not break. But I did find out that my quick loc locker works since it kept the other front spinning after the stub broke. Here is a pic just wanted to give ya the story with it.
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    This was discussed on the PBB by some folks that tried to run them in comps. That company is not fully heat treating the shafts like Warn does. They are treated up to the yoke about the point yours failed. The yoke is not heat treated at all.

7. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I got the parts I put in my 44 for way less than retail so It is no big deal for me I wasn't trying to get 60 strenght, but if it were a stock 44 it would have broke more than that. The hub looks to be just a broken snap ring so 100$ for the stub shaft should be all it cost to fix. But atlest I know just what it takes to break it and that the locker is working. Plus I can say I actually broke a shaft now before the u-joints just took out the ears.

8. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Nothing like the sound of axles snapping /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, sorry to hear about the carnage, but I am glad to hear about the u-joint. I put some of the new Spicers in my truck 2-3 months ago and haven't broke one yet, before I tried just about every brand (except a CTM) and would break a joint on average every 2 weeks (due to my excessively heavy right foot).

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I too have heard/read that the Warn shafts are much stronger than Moser's are.
    Thanks for the pic! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I too have heard/read that the Warn shafts are much stronger than Moser's are.
    Thanks for the pic! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

and they have a warrenty!

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, warn can make an axle shaft. even my 10 bolt chrome moly ones held up really well...

j

12. S-30

S-30 Registered Member

does warn make d60 shafts?

13. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    everytime somone asks if you can make a 44 as strong as a 60, post this pic please ;P

[/ QUOTE ]

I just swapped out my 44 for a 60 and this makes a stronger point. The diff is HUGE!

[​IMG]