Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 outer axle question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Mar 14, 2006.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I bent my outer axle shaft on the passenger side of my Dana 44 a couple weeks ago. Someone gave me a whole D44 yesturday but I have 2 issues with taking the axle I need out of it. The 44 I just got is full time 4wd, mine has lockout hubs, and the only good axle was the one from the driver's side. I took it out already, but I cant remember what mine looked like lol. I need to know if the outer axle from the opposite side is the same and if a full time front end has the same axles. I think it will work but I just wanted to make sure before I took mine apart. Also I was thinkin, if I ever blew a hub on my truck and needed 4wd desperately, could I put the flange from the fullltime 44 on mine in place of the broken hub and have 4wd?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup it will work..I belive the full-time axels have an extra lock ring groove but other than that they are the same.
    ANd ya why not use the full time as a busted hub replacement..:D

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

The outers are the same regardless of if they are manual or automatic hubs. Yes, you can swap hubs from one axle to the other. I wouldn't personally run 1 manual and 1 auto hub on the same axle, but I have seen stranger things.