Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 outer hub bearing cup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ssls6, Feb 11, 2005.

1. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

I'm doing a ball joint, bearing, and seal R&R on my K5 and I can't find a part number I need. When you remove the spindle nuts (outer, lock ring, inner) and pull the hub, there is a metal cup that covers the outer wheel bearing. The locking hub spring rests on this cup and the outside of the cup rests on the outer wheel bearing cage.

The cup is around 2 7/8" in outer diameter and is 1/4" thick. Does anyone know the part number? Is this cup included when you buy a new outer wheel bearing? Maybe the PO put this cup in the wrong place?

On a different note, the PO must have replaced one of the spindles with a 10 bolt at some point. My K5 has one small bearing spindle and one large bearing spindle. :mad:

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do you have manual locking hubs or drive slugs? I know the piece you're talking about and if you have manual locking hubs then you can disregard that piece. That piece was for holding the spring that pushes against the drive slug.

3. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

I have manual hubs. Without this piece, the springs would rest right on top of the outer hub bearings. My hubs are spicer, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply.

4. 4X4HIGH

you don't need the pieces or the springs. Those are supposed to be removed when you change over to manual hubs but someone must have left them in there. I have seen that done before but they no longer serve any purpose and can be removed. :thumb:

5. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

Thanks for the help. Is there a diagram on the web that shows how a spicer manual locking hub should be assembled?

Here's what I got and how it was assembled.

outer chrome piece
    blue plastic center piece
    H-cage
    inner dog
    outer dog
    spring
    bearing cup or shield (spring stop)

It looks like the blue center piece engages the H-cage which pushes the outer dog away from the inner dog. The spring keeps pressure on the outer dog so it will return when the cap is set back to lock.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Can't help you with a diagram, but I will tell you that when Scott (4X4HIGH) tells you something, it's a FACT.

Scott's been involved on most aspects of my K5 buildup (including re-building the entire motor a few short days before the Moab 2002 roadtrip) and it's always mind-boggling how much information he has memorized.....firing orders of almost any engine you can think of, torque specs for every component, all the tightening sequences, bores x strokes and displacements....it's sort of like having a walking, talking shop manual hanging out with you.

I'll admit, there are times when it's faster to just call him for a torque spec or assembly procedure than it is to look it up the books!! :D

7. 4X4HIGH

Thanks for the plug there Greg. :thumb:

Now if i could only get your dumb ass to move back to the left coast where you belong so that your walking talking shop manual could hang out with you and help you some more with your next phase of the Uni-mog build up. :smile1: