Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 Owners or the Knowledgable

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Feb 5, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Is the front tie rod, drag link?? (Knuckle to knuckle connection) supposed to be bent or tapered in to where the steering stablizer hooks into it. I am curious because after much thought and comparison between the 10bolt and d44 the 44 has way different mounting points for the stabalizer and I can't seem to find pictures of a d44 from the right angle to see if the ends taper into the middle where the stabalizer connects. I am sure I could adjust the ends to make up for it, if its bent in a non OEM way but I'd rather replace it with some more beef if its that bad.... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

The 10 bolt and D44 tie rods are completely different. The 10 bolt stabilizer is mounted to the end of the tie rod and at the middle of the axle, where as the D44 is the opposite. So the tie rods don't interchange the D44 tie rod should be striaght with no bends at the stabilizer mount. I took 2 pics of mine since it is not in the truck yet the first shows the stabilizer mount location up close and the second is the whole tie rod in the same position as the first pic just wide angle. As far as the stabilizer end that goes into the tie rod it is tapered and can only go in one way. Hope this helps, Ryan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BowtieBlazer

Thats exactly what i was looking for and it exactly means my tie rod is BENT! FRICKING FRAGGER FRAGGA @#$&#^&@!! Dammit...more money into the axle swaps..... Mine if laid flat on the ball joint botooms on each end would made a nice fighter jet V inwards toward the axle tube and steering stabalizer. Thing is there is no noticable notch where they would have run into something and it bent it...its like perfectly bent evenly from one end to the other starting at the steering stabalizer both ways. I guess this would be the weak link on the length of tie rod and if anything pushed in on it...its natural tendency would be to bend at that weak point.....any other insight?

4. BowtieBlazer

Upon looking at the secnd picture, yours may have some bend...is there any way you could get a shot of it flush to a board grease fittings toward the board, ball joints away?? Any other flat straight plained surface would work...

5. backyardbuilt

Mine is bent a little the guy i bought it from said he bent it some pulling it out of the truck. Also there is a little offset in the flat part where the stabilizer stud slides in to keep it from binding. I can get that pic still though if you want.

6. BowtieBlazer

If you would please! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. backyardbuilt

I'll get it today!

8. BowtieBlazer

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif SAAAWEEEETTT!!

9. backyardbuilt

I used the line in the lenoleum as a guide for you. The first pic is on its side, second is standing up, and third shows how much mine is bent up. Hope these help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BowtieBlazer

Thank you so much! Thats exactly what I was looking for...I was getting frustrated using my photo editing to try and draw a straight line next to the other pictures to get an idea. It has almost the exact bend that my tie rod has.....The first and third pictures are most helpful. Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

A step closer to making the Midwest Spring run /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. backyardbuilt

Glad I could help makes me feel I'm earning my place in your camper I just totally rebuilt my D44 so if you have any other questons feel free to PM me.

12. BowtieBlazer

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif