Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d44 post of the day

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Sep 30, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Yes I serched butttttttttt

Say I decided to weld my d44 spider gears, then run ctm u-joints, and top it off ith chromolly axel shafts.

Wouldn't this be strong as hell? Or am I overlooking some weekness in the carrier? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

ok start flamin for the silly question /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah after that I would say the carrier is the weak point. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Less ya run auto hubs in it or something. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

What size tires you running?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Don't do it. You will hate yourself. If you are going to spend the money to beef the D44 with chromo, ctm, etc do yourself a favor and spend some extra $ on a full case locker (detroit, arb). Ask Rob about breaking EZ Lockers. He now run a full case detroit. If you run a lockright or similar make sure you leave something weak in the axle. Here is my plans and thought processes on this subject with my 10 bolt.

I already have 4.56's and Lockright. So I am going to run Chromo inner shafts and stock outer shafts. I am also going to run the Warn cold forged joints or the Spicer 760's. CTM would be OK too but they are $$$.

If you beef your D44 with chromo's and ctm's you are moving your eventual breakeage to some other area. With 38's you WILL break something somewhere, and if you don't calm down the right foot you will break early and often. The CTM and Chromo will move the weak point somewhere inside your axle. Either R&P, carrier, spider gears. If you are lucky it might only blow a hub or yoke, but the odds are you will destroy something internal which is really bad. broken axleshafts can be fixed fairly easy, but broken R&P, carrier, spiders will cause alot of problems and will end your day on the trail. Make the breakage move away from the internals. Make the internals stronger and the easier to fix stuff the weak point. (hubs, axleshafts, yoke)

I am going to run my previously mentioned setup because it won't make my lockright or my carrier the only weak points. I still leaves the outer axleshaft and ujoint the main breakage point. Some may argue that the broken stub shaft could destroy the spindle and wheel bearings, but I carry a spare spindle and wheel bearings anyway so no biggy.

Or if you get the option D60 is the better choice for your apparent driving style and tire size.

Harley

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Carrier and ring gear are going to be the weak points, and you'll end up going to a 60 anyways. I broke 2 ring gears after going to the Warn shafts, and I wasn't even running CTMs. That was with 38s. Judging by the tone of all of your posts, you won't be happy without the biggest, baddest and latest; that menas a D60 with all the goodies is in your future. Save the money for a 60 if you think your 44 isn't strong enough.

6. supersize75

well I guess I will baby the d44 till a 60 lands on my foot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

"damn that would hurt too" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Wheel you D44 with all the stock components for awhile. As long as you cool down the right foot you should be ok for a little while. Rebember that rock crawling (especially with 38's and D44) is about finess. The fact that you don't have a front locker will be a key factor that should let your D44 survive for awhile and should give you a better margin for error with the shiny pedel. But with 38's that is a narrow margin so be careful with it.

Having fun like last weekend you can drive like a mad man because most of those surfaces didn't have enough traction to worry about breakage. Rock though offer alot more tracion and alot more opportunity for breakage.

Harley

8. supersize75

lead foots are fun, but I know what you mean, just have to let the front posi get me around for now /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif