Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 rear 6 to 8lug conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SB350XJ, Jan 17, 2003.

1. SB350XJ

SB350XJ Registered Member

Hi,
    I have read the technical article about the D44 front 6 to 8lug conversion. Is this possible in the rear,too ?
    Can I use 3/4ton parts for this conversion.
    Need help for this. Thanks!
    Bengt Germany

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've never heard of a D44 rear coming on a GM truck or K5. Was this swapped in at some point? You're sure that it's not a 12 bolt? Either way, I think that you're probably looking at custom work, I've never seen an 8 lug rear D44 and I know that the 12 bolts never came in 8 lug. </font color>

3. SB350XJ

Yes, It should be a custom work and I know thats not easy, I searched the internet up and down and found nothing about 8lug rear D44, most use D60 in the rear ! I would do this too, but its rearly hard to find a used D60 in Germany for low bucks (euro), I was lucky to find two D44 that matches under my rig. But in the futere I want run Hummer rims with 8lug, perhaps someone of you crazy guys in the US have already done this with a D44 !

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Have you considered trying to find a 14 bolt? They came under the rear of virtually every 3/4 ton and 1 ton truck that GM made, should be fairly easy to find even in Germany. The ones from 3/4 tons bolt right in with virtually no problems. They are alot stronger than a Dana 44 as well. </font color>

5. SB350XJ

I always thought a D44 is a D44 and you can exchange parts between them, do you think, when I change to FF I can use parts from a D60 FF system with 30 spline ?

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A D44 is not a D44 and you can't interchange parts between all of them. They have some in all different track widths, from Jeeps, Scouts, Chevys, Fords, Dodges, etc. They are all a little different. Some parts on them may be universal, but some will not be. Personally the Chevy is probably the easiest to find parts for as they were made for many years and Chevy produced many trucks for the entire world. As for your rearend predicament. I would say you would probably be better off with a D60 rearend. I am assuming that the XJ in your call sign is Jeep XJ as in Wrangler. The D60 rearend is lighter then the 14bff and is a little smaller too. But the 14bff is as stout as them come and are pretty easy to find.

As for 8 lug D44 rears, I can't say I have ever heard of any. Most of the time when you go 8 lug that means 3/4 ton or better and usually means Full Float rearend so D60 or 14bff or such.

7. SB350XJ

However, I see that I have to do some searches on various Bulletin Boards, to learn more about D44 and D60.
    Last question, do you know a steel rim with 16.5" x 10" with 6lug ? Thanks a lot /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

The easiest way for you to get 8 lug is to get a spacer/adapter that will bolt onto what you have and adapter to 8 lug.Check with ORD.They maybee able to get some for you.

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

not really sure what your after but here is another site with 8 to 6 lug..

web page

10. SB350XJ

Thank you for URLs. To use an adapter is easy and fast. But you need papers /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif for using them in Germany. We have a technical authority called TÜV here, if you make any changes to your car, they must proof it for street legality.
    But if I change the axles as a whole to 8lug they wont even notice it. It seems as if that would be original.

My idea is to run Hummer Wheels, 36 x 16.5 x 12.5, I have the possibility to buy some used wheels for less money. If I cant change to 8lug, I have to find a rim with for that size with 6lug, and run only the hummer tires.
    Thanks