Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 rebuild ??? HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the beast, Apr 21, 2005.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

I need to rebuild my front 44 before next weekend.

-Is there a seal between the pumpkin housing and the axle tube? I don't see anything on all the parts diagrams I find, but I find it hard to beleive that there isn't.

-Also can I replace the carrier bearings with out having to have the whole thing set up again? I figure if I have to take it out to install the lunch box locker, I should just do them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

The seals are inside the diff housing, remove the carrier and you'll see them on the inside of the housing.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes there are seals in the axel tubes. The axels & carrier need to be removed to replace them. Once the housing is gutted use a long bar and knock out the seal into the pumkin. I use a large socket & hammer to tap in the new seal.
    Carrier bearings are pressed on, inbetween the berring & carrier are your shims for adjusting R&P pattern. You may beable to pull the bearings taking extra caution to not screw up the shims as well as puting the shims exactly how they were.

Good Luck
    Burt