Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d44 ring/carrier removal help...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Jan 16, 2006.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my buddy broke the short inner axle shaft on his d44 at the splines. hes runnin 350/700r4/203 38"boggers 5.13's.the axle broke at the splines on the inner and we are tryin to remove his ring gear and carrier to get the broken stub out.i have never done this on a d44 only 14ff. but, we cant get the carrier to pop out. i talked to the tranny guy who put them in a while back and he said they should just tip out.but, they dont wanna move at all. is there somting were missin? we took the bearing caps off and tried using prybars but we cant seem to get them to budge at all. i tried doin a search but didnt come up with anythign.thx

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dana axles require a case spreader, but you can do it without one. Put a pipe wrench on the yoke to keep it from spinning. Get a breaker bar on one of the ring gear bolts and try to rotate it. I am not sure which direction, but with the pinion imobile it should walk it self out. Put down some blankets or a pillow so it doesn't hit the ground. Hope that helps. If not search for Willyswanters post about ARB install. I believe he posted this method.

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I actually do it the opposite of what Brian just said. I put a socket on the carrier bolts to hold the carrier againstthe houseing and turn the pinion with the breaker. That will cause the pinion to push the carrier out. I'm not sure which way it is that you need to turn the pinion but that always works for me.

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

just something no one has mentioned yet:
    make sure the broken axle shaft is not holding the carrier in still

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ehh yeah maybe that what I meant. Thinking about it now the way I explained it might just break loose the ring gear bolts :D I was tryin to remember how jason said he did his. And as mentioned above make sure the broken splines arent hanging up.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Removal tip: Loosely reinstall the bearing caps before you try to get the carrier out. They'll catch it when it pops loose, rather than tossing the heavy carrier out onto the floor. Once the carrier is loose, then you can carefully remove the caps while someone holds the carrier. :)

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah I wonder if that's it.

We pulled the carrier out of one of my D44, and it just took someone on each side with a prybar.

Wish we would have thought of installing the bearing caps loosely. We didn't drop the carrier because the axle is out of the truck, but one race did hit the ground.

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    RyanB gave me a good tip when I removed mine.
    -remove axles(of course)
    -take off caps
    -then rotate the driveshaft.This will slowly walk the gear set out of the houseing without the need for a spreader.

Worked great for me.