Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, May 27, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

How do you replace the Yoke seal on a front D44? I think that is the proper name for the seal on the rear where the driveline attaches.

2. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

make a mark on the pinion nut and pinion so you have a reference point, count the number of turns required to remove the pinion nut, put on the new seal and reinstall the pinion nut, tighten until you reach the mark.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On a D44 there is no crush sleeve to worry about. Just remove the pinion nut and pry the old seal out, install the new seal, then tighten the pinion nut back on and you are finished. It is best to use a new pinion nut or use lock-tite on the old one when reinstalling it.

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

DO I have to pull the yoke out to remove and reinstall the seal?

5. 4X4HIGH

That answer should be self explanatory, but yes you have to pull the yoke off to change the seal. OH, and you must reinstall the yoke before putting the nut back on. LOL

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys.

I am sorry I'm not as Godly as you 4X4HIGH. I have never in my life messed with a yoke. I am so sorry that I asked such an obvious question. It's people like you that always have a smartass remark for everything. I bet you were born knowing everything about everything. I wish I could buy you for what your worth and sell you for what you think your worth. Then I'd be rich and could just buy a built K5 and not have to ask self explanatory questions like that.

7. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure he was just messin with you. Its really hard to tell on here sometimes until you get to know the person. I don't think he was trying to be a smart@$$. I could be wrong tho......

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

It just makes me mad because alot of people are afraid to ask questions in life because people make fun of them. You can't expect people to learn if they aren't asking questions; even self explanatory ones.

It didn't hurt my feelings it just makes me mad that people can't "be nice and get along" LOL

9. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I know exactly where you're comin from friend!

10. 4X4HIGH

Well Brian, I was not trying to be a smartass or come across as one. I guess you missed the LOL at the end or something. I did not put you down for asking a question, and you are right about not knowing unless you ask questions. There is no such thing as a dumb question either. Just because you don't know something doesn't make it a dumb question because someone else knows the answer. SORRY you took it the wrong way. I am on this site to learn things that I don't know and also to give advice on things I do know to people who may not know.

11. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the clarification 4X4. Tthe response with the LOL (laughing out loud) was what made it sound like such a "smart" remark.

I get more people emailing me questions from this forum because they feel like it is a stupid question or people just sluff them off. So it makes me mad when people "seem" to be doing the same to me.

No harm no foul I never take anything personal. i just had to voice my opinion.