Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d44 shaft seals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coopertwpk, Sep 16, 2001.

1. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of going through my 44 and discovered the seals are bad how do you get the old ones out?the ring gear is already out.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I used a long metal rod and ground the tip of the rod to have a grove and point so it would catch the seal and then just took a hammer and pound them out. Worked well!!
    Good Luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I hope you mean the whole carrier is out. You can take a jack handle, a piece of pvc pipe, anything that is at least an inch round and will fit down the axle tube, then just knock them out. Putting them back in is it FUN part. Now that is a BITCH.

Take a piece of pvc pipe that just lets the seal part fit inside it, a short piece about 3" or so and use it as kind of a punch and hammer the new seals back in. Take your time as they seldom start straight the first time and you dont have much room to work with.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>