Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d44 spindle interchangability?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by low 84, Feb 24, 2005.

1. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

how interchangable are d44 spindles? one of mine is marred up on the bearing surface so i need to know what i can get a replacement off of. its a 3/4 ton d44, so can i get one off a 1/2 ton or is the spindle bigger on the 3/4 ton? can i get one off another make of vehicle with a d44? or is a chevy d44 spindle specific? thanks

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

There are 2 different styles. 76-older, 77-up as long as the hubs match internal/external they are all compatable 1/2 and 3/4 are the same. You should be able to visually tell them apart. 10 bolt spindles will also work if you have the 77-up internal hub style dana 44.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Here is a picture showing what Brian described:

The spindle on the left is the smaller 76-older version. The spindle on the right is the 77-up D44 and ALL 10bolt version.:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  4. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

i'm not a member so i can't view the pic, but thanks for trying. i've got the flat knuckle d44 so is it most likely the older/smaller version?

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Yep, you are correct. That means you'll have a harder time finding one since they are less common. Good luck!

I will try uploading that pic to my gallery so you can see it.:D

6. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

thanks for the help. if you don't want to upload that pic if you could send it to my email rncombs@neo.tamu.edu that would be awsome!

7. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

scratch that, i just went ahead and "joined", i've been putting it off long enough:cool1:

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

It is now uploaded....you should be able to see it now.:D

9. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

Having just gone through a rebuild, I had one of each on my 72. My parts guy and I figured this much out, 76 or earlier half tons used the small bearing spindle. The 3/4 tons used the large bearing spindle during that period. After 77, both 1/2 and 3/4 tons used the large bearing spindle.

I replaced my small bearing spindle with the large one so my set would match. My napa had a new one for $77 (spicer). The inner bearing for the large bearing spindle is a LM104949 whereas the inner bearing for a small bearing spindle matches the outer bearing.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmmmmm--

That means the 73 front axle and 71 front axle I have saved in the shed for ten years wont work on my 82 K20 or the 74 K20 I have (the 74 has a 77 front axle!)-unless I swapped the whole axle in it--guess I might as well scrap them--the 71 had 3.73 gears,the 73 had 3.08's,and they are six lug 1/2 tons now that I think about it--geesh I got a lotta junk that wont fit my trucks I own now!:surepal: :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

This has been posted here on CK5 many times and is very good info.

Info provided by Wes thatK30guy.

GM has two different types of axles: the "first design" and the "second design". For those who dont know the difference, the "first" goes from 71-76. The "second" goes from 77 to 91. Some differences are:

1. Backing plates are ALL diffferent. Both 1/2 and 3/4 ton for both designs are NOT the same thing. 3/4 tons are larger diameter than the 1/2 tons. There are currently 6 different types of backing plates. The 1/2 ton has the 71-76, 77-80, and 81-91. 3/4 ton is the same years, but only bigger around.

2. Bearing hub and rotors are different. There are 4 types. 71-76 use a smaller wheel bearing on both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton bearing hub is an internal drive. 3/4 tons were available in both the internal and external drives. 77 and newer bearing hubs are the same size wheel bearing. 1/2 and 3/4 tons are all internal drives. The differences in the rotor diameter is the fact that the 3/4 tons are larger around than the 1/2 tons. This is why the backing plates are larger around than the 1/2 tons. If you use a 1/2 ton backing plate on a 3/4 ton rotor, the caliper will NOT even align up with the bolts. If the 1/2 ton rotor is used with the 3/4 ton backing plates, the caliper will NOT have enough pad contact with the rotor.

3. Spindles. 71-76 are one type only. They are "first design" small bearings. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spindles are interchangable. 77-91 spindles are "second design" and all interchangable between 1/2 and 3/4 tons. You cannot use a first design spindle with a second design bearing hub & rotor. The hub will wobble in place. If the second design spindle is used with a first design bearing hub, the hub will not even go on at all.

4. D44 and 10B axle shafts are not interchangable. The D44 shafts measure: right - 36.13"
    left - 18.31"
    10B shafts measure: right - 35.46"
    left - 19.15"

5. Steering knuckles. Early D44's have the infamous "flat top" knuckles on the passenger side. These are good for the crossover steering for where the steering arm is mounted on top of the knuckle after machine work and drilling has been done. The 10B knuckles have NO flat surface whatsoever. Machine work would be excessive to make the crossover work and therefore would be easier and cheaper to locate the correct knuckle off a D44.

All in all, when doing a swap like this, try to round up the parts off one truck to use on the other. Such parts to swap over would be: backing plates, spindles, bearing hub & rotors, and if desired for crossover steering, the knuckles.

The knuckles do NOT need to be changed if you do not plan on the crossover steering.

It all boils down to this: D44 and 10B parts ARE interchangable from the knuckles out. Anything else from the knuckles in is NOT interchangable.

:waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:

12. low 84

low 84 Registered Member

awsome, thanks!

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have found that all 3/4 ton spindles are the same large bearing, its the 1/2 ton that changed from small to big in 77