Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 spindle nut conversion?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Jul 26, 2006.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I've got a 79 HP44 that I'm rebuilding, and it's time to replace the spindles/spindle nuts. Mine's got the two nuts and the lock washer. However, I found this conversion write-up http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/d44nut01/ and I was wondering if this will work for me, or should I just go get new spindle nuts. Help?

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

there is nothing like buying brand new parts and having to modify them to work. all to save five minutes next time you take it all apart. what are you really accomplishing doing the swap?

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

K.I.S.S.

Those nuts look too complicated, I wouldn't trust them to operate as long and flawlessly under harsh conditions as the old ones. I wonder what would happen to the fancy ratcheting mechanism if it were full of mud? I've never had problems with the old ones, so unless they were broken, I would leave them be.

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Yea, the old ones are stripped,so I've gotta replace em, just wondering if it was worth the time to do this.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I see. Well if one would be to attempt such a thing, now would be the time. I think I'd stay with the stock setup personally though.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Its not that hard to line everything up. if it doesnt work the first time, small increments and it will. Ive never had a problem of them not lining up after a couple tries. I once pulled 1 side off 3 times in 30min.