Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d44 steering block question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Jun 10, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i am wanting to get 2 steering arm blocks made for me when I go to histeer and was wondering if anyone had a picture/drawing with measurements for the whole block, 3 mounting holes, curve for ball joint etc, would appreciate it alot, thanks, chris

2. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i bought mine from avalanch engineering AKA poisen spyder cutoms...the important thing with this is to make sure you key the block to the steering arm so they lock tegether /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif..you also can cut off 2 stock steering arms for your blocks but you would hafta fill the cone holes with weld and re drill out the holes...

3. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

if i get some made would it hurt to just have a GOOD welder weld the block and the arm together? i am thinking i might need like a 2in block for it, but i might sacrafice and go 1in to be safe, should my draglink be straight (parallel) with the tierod? or does it really matter? thanks, chris

4. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

well i broke off the 9/16 studs with a 1" spacer that wasnt keyed so i went with 5/8 studs...with 2" i would strongly recommend the 5/8 studs and welding them together accomplishes the same thing as what ive done with the keyed block... in my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

what all is involved with putting in 5/8 studs? do i have to drill and tap the knuckle again and drill out the steering arm and block and then drill out the cone washers? also, if i run hydro assist would it be ok to drill another hole in the drivers side histeer arm to hook the ram too? thanks, chris

6. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

PM Muddytazz - he machined my D44 knuckles for 5/8 studs, so he knows first hand what is involved with this mod /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif