Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 stub shafts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Will stub shafts off a dana 44(77 or 78 I think) work on a 10 bolt? Just wondering. I might be able to pick up a set of stub shafts for a 44 and I need spare stubs for my 10bolt.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

2. Hossbaby50

Nobody knows?

3. Hossbaby50

Nobody?

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Pm Wes he will know for sure.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure the stub shaft will swap over. Don't hold me to it, though.
    I think the only differnce as far as the stub-shafts/spindals is (late model) big inner wheel bearing or (early model) small inner wheel bearing. I think the stubs are the same.

The wheel bearing split came in around '75 or '76 on the D44. As far as I know, all 10-bolts have the big-wheel bearing.

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>
    Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

They are the same. I toasted my '77 D44 and replaced it with an '89 10 bolt. Direct swap of everything outside of the ball joints.

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    They are not the same !
    FACT the old ones do not have the grovees cut in the splines for the Auto Locking Hubs.
    They are not the same, they are not interchangeable .

8. Hossbaby50

I have manual hubs, not auto's, so will they work? The stub shafts should be off a later D44 with internal hubs. I know everything from the knuckle out swaps between D44 and 10 bolt, and they use the same hub. Will they work or not? Thanks for all the input.

Harley

9. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

My memory could be failing, but I'm certain that I just swapped the outers when I changed the Ujoints for the new axle setup. I run manual hubs, so if that is the only difference I would not have noticed. The knuckles, spindles etc are the same and those set the specs for the stubs. I don't see what else could be different???

10. Executioner

Well if eveything is the same then why are people always aksing the same ??'s

You all think eveything is the same, it is my opinion all are new and all are the same
    and all can be found at the any parts store ! (LOL)
    I guess FACTS and opinions are getting mixed up again, I hope my brother-in laws
    Dana(Spicer) 44 will fit my second cousions GM Corp 10 Bolt(built by Dana) .

11. Executioner

Are you looking for a YES or NO answer ?

12. Hossbaby50

I want the answer to be yes. But I don't know for sure thats why I asked. I know that everything from the knuckle out is the interchangeable, but I do not know if that pertains to the stub shaft as well. Thats what I am trying to find out. Can a D44 stub be used on a 10 bolt, while using 10 bolt parts? Yes or No? I need spare stub shafts and I want to know if I can use D44 stubs as spares for my 10 bolt? Thank you.

Harley

13. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I'm just posting what I did about 5 years ago. As I stated, I swapped this stuff out and it worked. As to the manual vs auto, I can't answer that I only use manual hubs. Fact, the shafts work just fine manual hubs.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, the stub shafts from a Dana 44 will work on a 10-bolt. There were some earlier 44's (I'm thinking late 60's to real early 70's) that used the smaller 260-x u-joint that obviously won't, but the later ones will. I'm not sure about the point Executioner made in regards to an extra snapring groove on the later model 10-bolt stubs for use with the auto hubs...he may be right but I don't know for sure. However, if you have manual hubs there should be no problems as the internal style Dana 44 and 10-bolt locking hubs are interchangeable.

By the way, I'm pretty positive that Dana did NOT produce the complete 10-bolt axles for GM........though GM did use some Dana/Spicer components in the 10-bolts.

15. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

If you swapped everything outside the balljoints, then you used the 44 spindle, etc, no? I think his question is, can he use the 44 stub shafts from a 78 inside a 85 Corp 10 bolt, correct? To my understanding the answer is .. maybe. Everything outside the knucke should be interchangable, providing it's the later model 44, suggesting that the stub shaft should work, but there were two different U-joint sizes used in these axles and they may not be the same between your two sets of axles (I don't recall when they changed). They may not be interchangable wrt to the auto hubs, but they may work.

16. Hossbaby50

Thank you all that posted your responses. I appreciate all the input, and guidence. I got the answer I hoped for. I know there was confusion, but the question was answered. Thanks again.

Harley

17. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Just to clarify a bit. The stubs will work with the D44 or the 10B spindles etc. The only variable is the auto hubs and I don't know if there are enough grooves for those.

18. Executioner

Just woundering what Dana(Spicer) components were used on the GM Corp. 10 bolt, except the u-joint/wheel joint
    ? ( 5-297X)
    Any specific years that you may have seen?
    Thanks alot