Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 swap now my driveshaft is too short

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rotten03, Jun 2, 2004.

1. rotten03

rotten03 Registered Member

I swapped on a 14bff and a D44 onto my '89 Sub. Now that my front axle is on my driveshaft is maybe 2 or 3 inches too short. Is this normal? And can I have it lengthened or do I need some high dollar custom driveshaft? Also anybody know where I can get "thrust washers" for my 14bff? Thanks guys.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem. After I swapped a D44 in place of my 10 bolt, the splines on my d-shaft were showing. Is that what yours is like? What do you mean by "2 or 3 inches too short?"
    To fix mine, I installed a drive-shaft spacer which is a 1" metal spacer that sandwiches between the output yoke on your t-case and your d-shaft - in short, it "lengthens" the driveshaft.

3. rotten03

[ QUOTE ]
    I had the same problem. After I swapped a D44 in place of my 10 bolt, the splines on my d-shaft were showing. Is that what yours is like? What do you mean by "2 or 3 inches too short?"
    To fix mine, I installed a drive-shaft spacer which is a 1" metal spacer that sandwiches between the output yoke on your t-case and your d-shaft - in short, it "lengthens" the driveshaft.

[/ QUOTE ]
    No I mean the driveshaft wont reach the front axle. Even if I pull the splines out all the way.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Did you put a lift on at the same time? There's no way just swapping axles made your driveshaft be too short by 2-3+ inches.

5. rotten03

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Did you put a lift on at the same time? There's no way just swapping axles made your driveshaft be too short by 2-3+ inches.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well I had 4 inch lift spring on it efore I made the swap. Can a machine shop lengthen it?

6. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

yes they can I just had mine done 2 inches cost me 100.00 they also balanced it to. what year you got I might have one around here long enough

7. rotten03

[ QUOTE ]
    yes they can I just had mine done 2 inches cost me 100.00 they also balanced it to. what year you got I might have one around here long enough

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've got a 1989 Suburban with a 4 inch lift.