Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d44 tie rod question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85_k5, Jan 29, 2006.

1. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

Im just getting ready to swap in a 3/4 ton d44/14b in my blazer. The axles are I believe 77-79. The 44 has flat top knuckles, the question I have is on the tie rod. The drivers side bolts from underneath, and the passenger side bolts from the top. I searched and could not find this for any d44. The tie rod itself is straight and does not have any offset ends. Did certain years do this? or has it been messed with? I had the tie rod off and the holes are tapered just the way I described. Thanks

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

a 77 D44 shouldn't have flat top pass side. I am betting somebody put a 76 and older flat top on the pass side. 76 and older knuckles the tie rod mounts from the top. 77 and newer and 10 bolts all mount from the bottom. If you are planning on going x-over you need to find a 76 and older driver side knuckle. If you aren't planning on going crossover sell the pass side knuckle and swap in one of your 10 bolt knuckles over there. You could also drill out both sides and run heim joints.

3. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

That makes sense, thanks. Why someone would run the tie rod like that I dont know. As far as balljoints between the 10bolt 1/2 ton and d44 3/4 ton they are the same arent they? I just finished completly rebuilding my 10bolt front only to have the rear blowup, so the ujoints seals, balljoints bearings are all new, and from what Ive read from the knuckle out will swap over correct? Thanks

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep everything will swap out from the knuckles on out. Throw all the new 10b stuff on there, and keep the flat top and the extra stuff for spare parts. Find another knuckle for the driver side whenever you want to go x-over.