Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 to D60 swap (and back again), parts list?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Little Giant, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Little Giant

Little Giant Registered Member

I currently have an '84 K20, with a Dana44 out of a '73(?). I recently bought a non-running '86 Crew Cab for parts (though I may decide to get it back on the road instead). Obviously I want to swing the Dana60 under my '84.

My brother has a shop I can use to do the work, but I can't have a vehicle in there for a long time (read project needs to get done saturday so shop is free when he opens for business again). So I'm trying to think of everything I need for parts to get it done.

I've done searches and everyone says it just bolt in, but for some reason I am hesitant to think that. I'm pretty sure the break calipers won't have to be swapped, and I know I won't have to do anything to the drive line. My concern comes from the non-stock components connected to the axle from the lift kit. Specifically, are the u-bolts the same size, will my longer ones from the lift work on the D60? I know the passenger side has two bolts into the axle insteand a U-bolt, so I figure I can get some longer bolts from a hardware store.

What about the steering arm? I currently have a raised steering arm on the D44 to correct the geometry. Should I plan on retaining the D60 stock steering arm and buying a drop draglink? Do they make ones that correct for 6" of lift?

I guess I'll need to dig up my stock steering arm for the 44 too so I can throw that axle back under the crewcab and at least have it movable.

PS. Anyone ever sell a K30 crewcab with a 44 front, and did you alert the buyer to this point? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You need new brake lines since the dana 44 ones are different than the dana 60 ones, but the 10 bolt ones are the same. You have to use the calipers from the dana 60 on the dana 60 because they are mush bigger. Your U-bolts wont work because the axle tubes are bigger so you need new ones. You cant use the dana 44 steering arm. Dana 60s use 4 bolts to mount the steering arm and the dana 44 uses three. A few companys make a block to go between the factory steering arm and the axle, and it comes with new longer studs.

3. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

is the crew cab a dually?? dana 60's under a crew cab are suppose to have diffent hub's and roters to compenast for the rear dual wheel's

4. Little Giant

Little Giant Registered Member

Thanks DesertDueler. Okay, so I need at least

3 U-bolts (wide enough for D60, long enough to account for lift spring)
    2 bolts (for passenger side spring plate hold down, or do people prefer to put studs here?)
    steering arm block (can someone provide brand name or a source for this?)
    12-pack of Amberbock (substitutions allowable)

I'm not quite sure on the brake thing. It took me two tries to get brake lines that would work on my truck when I bought extended brake lines. Also, I did not change calipers when I swapped out my 10 bolt for the 44. When I bought my extended brake lines at the local 4x4 shop, they asked me "You don't have one ton running gear right?", which I didn't so I said no. Brake lines came in and didn't fit. So I went back to same place and looked in their Skyjacker book myself. It listed two part numbers for extended brake lines, one was for '1/2 tons and 3/4tons under 8000lbs GVWR', the second was '1 ton and 3/4ton over 8000lb GVWR' I checked, my truck is rated 8600lbs, so I had them order the second part number, which worked correctly. Basically this just had to do with bango bolt (name??). So, who knows about different weight rated K20s? Are the brake calipers from a 8600lbs GVRW'd '84 K20 the same as an '86 K30 crewcab SRW (slips in answer to other reply here)?

Thanks,

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Calipers are different. Look at the Dana 60 ones they are like twice the size along with the pads.

Skyjacker makes the block for the Dana 60 I believe. National Tire& Wheel sells them phone # 1-800-847-3287or www.ntwonline.com