Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 upgrade?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 468k5, Mar 15, 2006.

1. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What worth trying?

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Several people on here have already tried to prove that. All they proved was that they spent WAY too much money on the 44, upgrading axle shafts and U-joints. Once those parts were made from expensive unobtanium, and were damn near unbreakable, the ring and pinion would fail. :( All they did was move the weak link to a more expensive part to replace...

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

My D44 is about as built as you can get. I use Warn hub fuses to put the 'weak link' out to the hubs so it is an easy trail repair if needed..that and using a posi alows internal slippage so things don't bind up and break so easily...now I have the BBC and haven't got much seat time with that engine so time will tell if my built D44 can still survive :rolleyes: I am not a 'Hardcore rockcrawler' so until I granade my D44 it will stay there. D60 definatly works better if you want to follow some of thease truggy guys on the hardcore stuff...I just watchum and offer a line if needed...then head back to camp still in one piece:D
    Took me many years to upgrade as I only upgraded as I broke stuff.
    Warn C-molly shafts
    CTMs
    Power-Lok
    Rock Rod
    Dana Spicer R&P
    Warn Prem. Hubs w/fuse rings
    Rock rash diff guard
    All bearings are Made in the U.S.A ( never use China crap)
    Too keep all this alive and well driver skill is needed...still working on that one hahahhaa

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

There is no doubt that a D44 can be built strong but it is limited to how strong and what that is being compared to .
    I am real strong compared to a little girl but I am weak as hell compared to the Gov. of California . I don't mean to sound like a samrt a$$ just saying that a D44 has its limitations at its highest point of build up. If your wheeling/driving style does not exceed that than a built D44 is a fantastic option over a heavt D60.

Tom

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

"If your wheeling/driving style does not exceed that than a built D44 is a fantastic option over a heavt D60."

Well said