Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D44 verus GM 10 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Jan 7, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

I am trying to find some information about which front end is stronger. A 6 lug D44 or an 8 lug GM 10 bolt.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The hub doesn't matter in the axle's strength so don't worry about how many lugs it has. A 10B and D44 are almost exactly the same in strength. One isn't better than the other really. The only advantage a D44 has is that it's housing is made of nodualar iron compared to the 10bolt's grey iron housing so it can handle a little more verticle abuse.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

the hub is not the only difference between 1/2 and 3/4 axles, ie 6 and 8 lug, IIRC, the 3/4 ton models have different (see stronger) knuckles.. someone correct me if im out of line.. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    IIRC, the 3/4 ton models have different (see stronger) knuckles.. someone correct me if im out of line.. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    hmm, maybe your right, I thought they were the same. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the hub is not the only difference between 1/2 and 3/4 axles, ie 6 and 8 lug, IIRC, the 3/4 ton models have different (see stronger) knuckles.. someone correct me if im out of line.. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same knuckles, no real strength difference btw the two axles regardless of the number of lugs. There are some minor differences in tube thickness but I really think one is as good as the other.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

same knuckles? strange how stock yota wheels fit on my 1/2ton front but wont fit on my 3/4 front Im pretty sure the 3/4's are a little beefyer BTW I know there wider becuase the use a differnt tierod

7. Confedneck

hey i forgot about that wheel fitment problem we had..

8. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I think the D44 disc brake caliper is a little better than a 10 bolt one also.

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

How? They interchange....

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    same knuckles? strange how stock yota wheels fit on my 1/2ton front but wont fit on my 3/4 front Im pretty sure the 3/4's are a little beefyer BTW I know there wider becuase the use a differnt tierod

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....I have my 1/2 ton flat-top D44 knuckles on my 3/4 ton D44. In fact, I bolted the stock 3/4 ton spindles to said knuckles. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif The 3/4 ton knuckles are the same as the 1/2 tons of the same year. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same knuckles, the backing plate and dust cover are bigger and that is the why grinding is required for most 15" wheels to clear the 3/4 ton stuff. My 1/2T and 3/4T 10B both used the exact same width tierod.

12. Confedneck

odd.. we put the exact same toyota wheels and tires on one front end, rolled it out, put them on the other, and they hit the knuckle where the tie rod goes in.. please explain why.. are the knuckles perhaps built different???

13. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

What were the two front ends? There are differences in knuckles that can be found on 10Bs and D44s, however, I think that knuckles from the same era 3/4T and 1/2T are the same.

14. Confedneck

both 10 bolts
    one half ton
    one 3/4 ton

15. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

You got me, I had a 1983 3/4T 10B and a 1991 3/4T 10B and the knuckles, and tierods were identical.

16. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

How can you fit a yota wheel on a half ton axle and a 3/4 ton axle? One of them is 6 lug, the other is 8 lug /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

From my experience of actually piecing together one 3/4 ton axle from three different dana 44's I can say there is very little difference. Same knuckles, therefore same tierod, and if same year range the spindles, Axle shafts, lock outs, and brake calipers are the same. Different bearing hubs, rotors, backing plates for the brakes, inner wheel bearings (I think).

Overall they are virtually identical. The brakes are like 1/4" bigger IIRC.

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

Same knuckles, the backing plate and dust cover are bigger and that is the why grinding is required for most 15" wheels to clear the 3/4 ton stuff. My 1/2T and 3/4T 10B both used the exact same width tierod.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought you didn't have to grind on a 3/4ton front when using 15" wheels. My old 1/2ton 10bolt backing plate was very close to my old 15" wheels, now with my 16.5 rims and 3/4ton 10B... there is plenty of space, like 1.5", between the edge of the backing plate and rim. I thought they were the same size? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You thought wrong. I had to grind the crap out of my 10 bolt front to make 15" wheels clear with 4 1/4 backspacing.

19. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I thought you didn't have to grind on a 3/4ton front when using 15" wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish! I had to grind considerably on the caliper and I had to bend and grind on the support bracket as well. My wheels have 4.25" BS like Tim's.

[​IMG]

20. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How? They interchange....

[/ QUOTE ]

The piston is supposidly bigger