Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d44?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler, Jan 5, 2003.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have a question on the brakes. I have a 77 Ford dana 44 that has 2 piston calipers, and was wondering if anyone knows or has done a swap onto a chevy axle. I would want to put it on my 10 bolt front. What all would I have to swap. I know you can do it on the dana 60s.

Dan

2. DesertDueler

ttt. This axle also has a flat top knuckle, and fords factory crossover.

Dan

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

What exactly have you got there?

Sounds like F250 solid-axle since you mention twin-piston calipers, but factory cross-over doesn't jive unless its an F150 w/radius arms /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

This is what an F250 used:
    [​IMG]

Dana 44 complete outers will swap over to a 10-bolt. Use everything from the balljoints out. Only thing is the steering link and tie-rod might not be the right length. I can't remeber how the Ford and GM compare for track width.

4. DesertDueler

It has radius arms, so its probably a f150 with f250 outers then. All I know is the calipers and brake pads are alot bigger then my 1/2 ton stuff. Also it is 8 lug so I know atleast the outers are 3/4 ton. Would my 10 bolt axle shafts work fine?

Dan

5. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

The outer stub shafts are the same on the 10 bolts and d44's so they should work fine.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Make sure that your wheels will fit over that setup. The Ford trucks have had 17 inch wheels for a few years now. Getting smaller diameter wheels to fit over the brakes could present a challenge. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

On a GM, the stubs (outer axles) are the same length for a 10-bolt and Dana 44, but on a Ford they might be different. They use the same u-joint, so you can mix and match if needed.

The twin-piston Ford is tough to use with 15" wheels. 2.5" backspacing is the most you can run. They're the exact same brakes you find on a Ford Dana 60.

8. DesertDueler

I just am trying to figure out all this stuff before I tare apart both trucks to do this swap and it not work. The ranger I bought is on a 3/4 ton frame with 3/4 ton axles. It has a dana 60 FF rear with posi with 4.10 gears. This would save me money if it works, if not I guess I will be offroading in a ford.

Dan