Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 35spline hubs or slugs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, May 22, 2003.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

what do you recommend? part time 203

it's not a daily driver,and it trailerd to the trails.

but it will see some mall cruising.

plan so far is 35 slpine with a detroit but i can't decide.

also if you say yes to slugs which ones do you recommend?

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I bought the Warn slugs. No more broken hubs. Some guys running setups like mine have broke several of the 30 spline hubs in a single month without beating on it (like ScoobyDan). Also, several have reported other problems with the 35 spline Warn hubs. Now that I'm adding the doubler, I didn't want to take a chance on breaking or fool with it...

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I'm running the 35 spline outers and 35 spline warn "slugs" and have had no problems at all, I have beat the snot out of them and they have held up as advertised. As mentioned, I have been with others that have 30 spline outers and locking hubs that have failed.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The slugs, I am told, do not pull the stub axle out (distal from the differential) and thus do not really seal the hub. Water, mud, whatever can get in.

I have the Warn 35-spline hubs and like them a lot.

-- Mike

5. BadDog

Hmmm, news to me... Mine aren't in yet, so no way to check. Can anyone confirm this other than hear-say? If so, Warn owes me a spacer or refund (and I'll go with Pig's on PBB)... Frankly, I don't care much for Warn anyway...

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Spicer makes/made a spacer for running the fulltime puck. I have a set of pucks, will look and see if the spacers are there. I know there was one floating around in the box with a spicer part#. Probably can't find it now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

W/ the Detroit & street driving I'd say hubs

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand trying to turn a detroit on the street but if i am in 2wheel action will this still affect my sterring? some of the mall parking lots are kinda tight.

alos who else makes slugs besides warn? BADOG you mentioned somthing about a PIG over at PBB whats up with those.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand trying to turn a detroit on the street but if i am in 2wheel action will this still affect my sterring? some of the mall parking lots are kinda tight.

alos who else makes slugs besides warn? BADOG you mentioned somthing about a PIG over at PBB whats up with those.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> You may need to cut and paste to see the pic... http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&amp;postid=1323456</font>

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

With no torque being applied to the front axle when in 2wd the Detroit should pretty much stay unlocked all of the time. For occasional street driving slugs should be just fine and rarely if ever notice the locker, if it was a daily driver than I would probably recommend lock-outs to avoid wear. I run a lock-right in the front and it is basically the same concept as the Detroit and don't notice any weird driving habits while running in 2wd with the hubs locked.

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

MMMMM thems is some nice slugs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif so his handle is PIG over on the PBB?

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    MMMMM thems is some nice slugs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif so his handle is PIG over on the PBB?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Yep, that's PIG's website. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

13. BadDog

Yep, they are nice, but last I heard, he had no stock to sell yet. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif At least not when I bought my Warns a few weeks ago.

Still waiting on feedback about the fitment with the Warns...