Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 alternatives

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Since D60's are getting so hard to find, and expensive has anyone here done any other options for a stronger front axle? I was thinking of 2 1/2 ton Rockwells or Unimog Portal axles. I was looking around and you can buy a PAIR of Unimog axles off the net for less than you would pay for a D60 front, and get a stronger axle w/ almost 6" more ground clearance? Just kicking around some ideas...

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Man if you can get a set of Unimog's less than one d60 I would all most go for that. But my truck would have to be a tail only ride with the gearing of those axels you would neer get anywhere unless you did something about it.

Eric

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I would think that 2-1/2 tons would be heavy as hell Anyone know the weight on these?...... Portals are bad ass, but i heard somewhere that you have to be Jacked up pretty high for them to clear, also as said before they have only one gear ratio and its something like 6.72, So you either spend a ass load of money on having a doubler set up with the 203 case turned around (like that guy from canada) or just bear down and get a d60, they really arent all that hard to find,

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

D60 is pretty much it unless you are just rich as heck. Portals have some issues but could prolly be made to work (for enuff $$), 2.5t axles have that hell-a low gear ratio (why has no one made different gears for these?!). I dunno, if you could get someone to make you a set of custom gears for a 2.5t, it'd prolly be THE choice for front axles. I doubt with discs it weighs toooooo much more than a ff14b. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I don't think I would have a problem w/ the 6.17's in the Rockwells! I goofed on the Unimog axles, they arent 1000 for a set, but instead 1000 for a front steer axle

http://www.tibus-offroad.com/html/used_axles_and_parts.html

I am just day dreaming ... 1000 bucks is about 999 more than I can spend right now after the stuff I just put on my truck.

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

dude a sm465 and 6.17s lol your granny gear would be nutz. youd go like 35 miles an hour down the freeway.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Even if you could buy the actual set of axles for less, I doubt you could get them under the truck for a reasonable price. The nice thing about the 60 is that once you purchase the axle you really don't need any other custom stuff in order to bolt it into the truck.

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

The Unimog axles are cool,but,the driveshafts are a PITA to get hooked up.axle wrap is big issue too.Factory rigs have torque tube system that helps stop wrap.The gears aren't any stronger,it's where the extra reduction's at that helps.A doubler puts more pressure on whole drivetrain,portals reduction is at the end of axles.Bet it's harder to find parts at local parts house too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif