Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 axle shafts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Dec 29, 2001.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Anybody know if they make moly shafts for them and if they do where to get them? If I can't find any does anybody know where you can get stock replacements that don't cost more then a complete axle cost? Thanks.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

2. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

I have some stock shafts from a '79. 35 spline inner &amp; 30 spline outers. Both D &amp; P sides $ 125 plus shipping. The U-joints only have 500 miles on them.

Let me know. ED

Get use to the view.
    Because, if your not the LEAD DOG the view never changes.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by i_4x4 on 12/29/01 07:14 PM.</FONT></P>

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I sent you a PM on them. Thanks Wayne.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.

4. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I asked the same question about a month ago and didnt get much of a response,I priced replacement shafts locally and didnt like what I was hearing.
    Ed is offering a hell of a deal since two axle joints are almost that much $$$, If you decide not to buy my wallets open(*Ed take note*)
    The early D-60 axleshafts in all makes were necked down in the middle and sometime in the 80s they beefed them up so that they were actually fatter than the splined area in the middle.
    Theres been a big debate on the pirate board about which is stronger,something about twisting forces,and whatever but if you lay both types of shafts side by side I know which ones I will be using!!!
    I will take some pictures when I get a chance and show the difference between them as well as the 30/35spline stubs.

My project Ford D-60 had the small shafts and I thought I would have to get custom made shafts for it until I talked to Wagoner Machine Shop and they got me new Spicer fat shafts for it and treated me fairly so I have since purchased many more 60shafts from them.

RGF

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have the fat ones, took a few pics but was mainly looking at comparing lengths when I was snapping them. they are installed now.
    can you link me to that POR discussion? I caught hints it on another thread but never saw the meat.

formerly 77chev

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I already sent him a PM letting him know I wanted them.[​IMG]

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I measured the shafts in mine, was around 1.30" at the smallest point. Barely bigger than the 30 spline stub. I think they started switching to the bigger ones aroun '81, mine is an '80. I've also heard of guys finding one skinny and one fat in the same axle.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I dont visit POR that often cause my puter dont act right over there and I dont speak Cali very well but it was a few months ago that I was reading about the shafts.I dont think they were talking about comparing the old style shafts vs the new style but more on the lines of a shaft being stronger if it has a neck down in it instead of being straight.I believe one of the guys involved was Bill Vista or something like that,Im sure you could go over there and get something stirred up again.

RGF

9. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

Moly stubs are coming for both Ford and GM... still a month or two out though, &amp; I can't say from where yet, but I have been assured, they will be here soon. As far as moly inners, I have no idea, but if you find them, especially for Fords, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know who's building them. The thick inners are still new replacements from Spicer, pretty much anybody that sells Dana/Spicer drivetrain parts can get them.

My Ford has chevy parts! it's all good!