Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 big brake upgrade?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DukeBoy88, Mar 29, 2007.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I'm still in the planning/assembly stages right now deciding on wheel size for my 88 K5. I am going to run hydroboost and I have already swaped discs onto my 14FF. I am wondering if anyone knows of front brake swaps with newer 1-ton trucks running larger rotors, possibly multi-piston calipers that are available or even a possiblity for a D60. I haven't decided on a wheel size yet but would like to be able to do this in the future. I'm going to run around a 38" tire and have found what I need for a 17" rim, but from what I see from the aftermarket (16" rotor kits) they would require atleast a 18" wheel which doesn't have the same tire selection yet. I'm not sure if the factory versions require 18" rims. I haven't driven a hydro with rear discs yet, I'm only using my M1008 on 34" as a judge that I want more braking power on the street for my K5, which is where I'll be driving for an hour to get to a place to wheel. off-road I'm not worried, on-road I want as much insurance to avoid accidents with idiots in my "grey area legal" truck in PA. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I haven't gone to the parts stores to start taking measurments of rotors and calipers yet, thought I'd ask first.

Thanks in Advance.

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Purportedly the outer ends of a Chevy D60 can be swapped for Ford to allow usage of the big multi-piston Ford calipers. Dynatrac does this but I understand it's $ plus the build has to be well documented so ya can source replacement parts....

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

the m1008 has hydroboost with the larger 14b drums. if thats not stopping you enough with 34" tires, then theres air or something in the system.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well, personally I think the stock D60 brakes with rear discs are plenty. I have 40" IROK's with on 17" beadlock and can lock up all 4 wheels. Granted, I feel that in order to get proper braking you need new rotors and calipers and pads all around and FLUSH the fluid... I have the stock 1/2-ton booster and master with a Wilwood valve in the rear line...I think it works great

5. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Thats always a possibility, however I keep my M1008 in top shape and it brakes like all the others I drove in the army as a 63B. I'm talking stopping power like the millitary HUMVEE's, don't know if the civillian versions are as touchy, but the first time I ever touched the brakes It snapped my head forward. I don't want them that grabby and I can't copy the inboard design but I believe a larger rotor up front would balance out the rear discs and allow you to take full advantage of them.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had 1 tons with disk swaped in the rear and 1 ton master/hydroboost. 7k lbs rig was no prob to lock up 38 swampers with out even trying.

you will be just fine with what you have. trust me.

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 60/14 with factory disc on front and disc conversion on the rear with a 1 ton master cylinder designed for 4 wheel disc and mine will danm near throw you threw the windshield when you get on them. And that is with a vacuum booster. They work so good in mine that my hydra-boost system is sitting on my shelf still.