Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

d60 bolts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy/cj, Dec 26, 2001.

1. chevy/cj

chevy/cj Registered Member

I was wondering if you guys with d60 fronts could help me. I have successfully stripped out the bolts on the pass side of the spring pad. The damage is from my stupidity. more on that later. i've been given 2 options so far.. jb-weld studs into the holes and nut them down ,or, drill and tap for 3/4 inch studs.
    any help would be appreciated. I put 9/16 bolts in when I built the jeep. they got tight when I put them in but in the bottom of Stagecoach they took a crap. all we had was some big metric bolts so we cranked them in. I got out but now I'm in this predicament. so there... stupid I know.. I know

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

tried Helicoiling them yet?
    or weld them up and re drill and tap if you are a real good welder

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

oh wait...
    the housing is junk you will have to send it to me for free :)

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Do what 77chev said: Heli-coil the bastards!! [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Tsk, tsk!! [​IMG] Shame on you, Michael!! [​IMG]

BTW, if you can get this axle for free, sell it to me for $50. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Who the devil told you to use JB weld on that? They are not your friend since they are obviously trying to kill you. [​IMG][​IMG] LOL!

Anyway, in all seriousness, I would drill out the holes and use the heli-coils as K30 and 77chev have said.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

A heli-coil kit of that size will set you back a bit of $$$.
    I like using Thred-Sert's because they use a normal tap and not the $$$ of the Heli-Coil tap that you won't be able to use again any way.

But if you already broke one of the 9/16 bolts I would just drill and tap it to the next size (along w/ the spring plate of corse).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

8. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

you have to wonder with a statement like "they got tight when we put them in"
    sounds like they cross threaded them in and it failed so they crossthreaded some metrics in on to completely **** it up.

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

uh yup . i am machinst so i get to play with threads all the time ....8-32 bolts broken off in alum suck !

Kick It In The Firewall !!
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE

10. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

I think you might want to learn what heli-coil recommends as max torque that their insert will tolerate. The one I used in my transmission mount was not to exceed some really low figure (I forget the max, but it was more than the 40 lbs. I needed for the bolt). I do not think a heli-coil type insert is made to tolerate the torque you need on the spring pad bolt and it is too important a connection to goof up. I would go with drilling and tapping the next size up or filling in with welder and drilling and tapping out the original size.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A 5-56 tap broken in a small aluminum part sucks too...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

12. chevy/cj

chevy/cj Registered Member

actually the 9/16 bolts got loose. we then put the metrics in buggering up the threads. when i got home I tried to put it back together with the 5/8 bolts and what threads were left. now they are gone. If welding is involved... why can't I just weld in a good stud? drilling out after welding is going to be the problem.. I think. Yall keep it up this is helping me out. Thanks, Rick

13. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Rene, I really think you mean either a 2-56 tap (.086 maj. dia.) or a 5-40 or 5-44 tap (both have a .125 maj. dia.)......or maybe a 3-56 tap (.099 maj. dia.).....[​IMG]

I have never heard of a 5-56 thread size....[​IMG]

As far as inserts go I would see if you have enough room to use the <a target="_blank" href=http://www.carrlane.com/product/Nav_0112.htm>Carr Lane Key Inserts</a>. They are stronger than Heli-Coils and use normal taps that don't cost a arm and a leg. [​IMG] Good luck.

See Ya,
    Keith

<font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

we have 5-56 taps at my shop ...oh and &lt;Rene &gt; how many did u have to remove ? i have like 15-20 to remove ppl screw their stuff up and bring it to us to fix...

Kick It In The Firewall !!
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE

15. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Maybe the are a ultra-fine series. The Machinery's Handbook does not show that size and neither does the Cleveland Twist Drill tool catalog, or any of the other tool catalogs I have. I am not saying you are wrong, just that I have never heard of that thread size. I do know that the 5-40 is considered a course thread and the 5-44 is considered a fine thread for that series of screw. What kind of taps (meaning brand name) do you guys work with in your shop? I would just like to know for my own knowledge incase I ever run into having to use that size of thread in anything around here. Thanks.

See Ya,
    Keith

<font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>