Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 brake options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Feb 12, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

so i got this here daner 60 out of a '79 F-350. but it has no calipers. and as much fun as going fast is, im gonna need to stop SOMETIME...

so my question is, what are my options as to calipers? i want a cheap option, but i dont want to lose braking force (from stock) and i dont want to go to a junkyard for brakes. short of going to the dealer, what are my options for calipers? can i use a commonly available caliper from another axle?

its time to get down to buying parts and getting this show on the road/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. thezentree

yeaaaaa, sooooo, how bout dem brakes?

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Just shut up and go to your nearest Pep Girls and get some rebuilt calipers. They will do the job just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. thezentree

haha, thanks Tim /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I think your best options is to get on Ebay and buy some old crusty calipers that you can turn in for cores. Pepgirls or any other place will usually screw you if you don't have the cores. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just put some 10 bolt calipers in the box or something. Not like they're going to know what they sold you vs. what you return as a core. As long as they see a brake caliper you're good to go.

Hell some counter guys are so lazy you could put a rock in the box and they'd never even notice.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Just put some 10 bolt calipers in the box or something. Not like they're going to know what they sold you vs. what you return as a core. As long as they see a brake caliper you're good to go.

Hell some counter guys are so lazy you could put a rock in the box and they'd never even notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there and done that. Very true and valuable suggestion right there. They will never know as 99% of the time they never check.

The best way to do it is to go get the calipers first, and then bring the cores in like the next day. This way they think you are getting new ones to install and take off the old ones when you get new ones and then bring the old ones back later. This way if you take the cores with you, they can't compare them side by side, if they were to do that. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

now i have a question.... since 15" rims require alot of grinding to the calipers to fit.... can d44 or 10 bolt calipers work on a d60 front? im thinkin of gettin beadlocks and i can only find them in 15" (dot legal)

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status