Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 brake question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by marine_enlisted, May 8, 2004.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I took my calipers off and didn't pay attention to the locking clip thingy when I pulled them. I ground down the calipers today /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif and I am ready to put the brakes back together. How the hell does the little tension spring/clip go on? I can only assume that you put the clip on the bracket then tap it in but it doesn't seem like it will go. Can some one describe this to my dumb ass? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I could use the same answer. When I bought my D60, the calipers were off of it. I have new ones and need to put them back on. I was going to go buy a Chilton's but if anybody has a diagram or a website we can refer to?

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The caliper locking plate and retention spring (which is just the long thin piece of steel) goes on the bottom side of the caliper. If you take the locking plate, without the caliper hung over the rotor, and line up the round hole in it where the locking Allen screw goes, this is how it is supposed to go. The retention spring lies on top of the locking plate groove, with the bent tabs on the ends pointing downwards.

To install the locking plate and retention spring, hang the caliper over the rotor, and then with one hand push and hold the caliper upwards, and with the other hand slide the locking plate with the retention spring on top of it into the gap created by holding the caliper upwards. once you have gotten the locking plate and retention spring pushed in a little bit, then just take a hammer and tap it in all the way, until the locking plate hole lines up where the Allen head screw goes in.

Remember to wire brush clean the caliper slider grooves, that the caliper slides on, down to clean steel. Then put a small bit of grease (I prefer molly type of grease) on the slider grooves to increase the ability of the calipers to slide back and forth easily.

Also, there is a small steel piece of brake hardware, that acts as a spring, which is cliped onto the bottom of the inside brake shoe. This piece may seem small and insignificant, but this piece can mean the difference between a brake job that stops your truck smoothly, and a system that pulls, squeals, and irritates the hell out of you.

4. marine_enlisted

Thanks. That's the way I figured it went, but I wasn't 100%sure. Do those little clips come with new pads? Or can you get them separately? My clips are bent to hell becuse I dropped the pads. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You should probably replace those clips anyway. They're available as "disc brake hardware kits" or you can do what I did, bring your rotten old calipers in, get yourself two reman loaded calipers, and you'll get a COMPLETE set of hardware along with them.

Definitely the way to go IMO! I can't tell you what I paid for them (I paid about what it costs for one bare caliper for each loaded one) but they only retail about $50-55 each. $110 and you get:

Reman calipers, retail about $33 each
    Premium semi metallic pads (mine are Raybestos, about $50)
    Brake hardware (it's $18 just for that one slide piece if you need it, and that's for each side!

Loaded calipers are DEFINITELY the way to go if your calipers and their mounting hardware are questionable!

6. marine_enlisted

My calipers are fine, my D60 is brand new from GM. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I just dropped the pads and the little clips got mangled. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

O.K., I'm bringing this one back from the dead :D !

On the above high-lighted statement, It says the locking plate is/should be on the bottom.

While trying to put together my brakes on my D60, I noticed my locking plate and Allen-head screw hole is on the TOP !!

THE BIG QUESTIONS:

1) Did the dude who I bought my D60 from mount the caliper mounts on the wrong sides?

2) Or is that possible?

3) Does anyone have any pics of said D60 caliper mounts not mounted, or have an exploded view of a modern front D60?

Any tips and pics are greatly appreciated :bow::bow: !!

8. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

1) Did the dude who I bought my D60 from mount the caliper mounts on the wrong sides?

ding, winner. they need swapped side to side.

9. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Yep :doah::doah:!!

I just dug up this pic to give me an idea of what I have to do now :mad: :( !!

[​IMG]