Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 built up from the bottom up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by destinbeachman, Sep 6, 2005.

1. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Hoping that some of you guys that have built D60's could shed a little light here.First of all,I need one for sure-I'm running a 427/350/203(soon to be doubled)to a 14 bff and 10 bolt with 37's.I have a line on two different bare housings,both mid 80's GM.Totally bare with just the bearing caps.Both appear to be straight and rebuildable.What I'd like to know is wether or not it would be cheaper to find all of the parts-knuckles,brakes,quality shafts,carrier and diff,etc...or to go ahead and bite the bullet and order one up from someplace like Boyce Equipment.Their website lists a rebuilt unit with gears and ARB for around 3800.By the way,availability around here for used complete front ends is virtually nonexistent.Would some of you guys share your total build costs so I can make an informed decision?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The problem with finding parts of a Dana 60 is they are just as rare if not more than the 60 itself. Its probably cheaper to buy a rebuilt one. Or you can always hold out for a complete one. Some guys around here searched for theirs for years.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know if he's still around but you could PM muddog. He parts out CUCV's and usually has complete 60's in good condition sitting around. I got mine with about 20k miles on it in great shape.

Edit: oops, it's muddog, sorry.

4. destinbeachman

I really haven't spent any time looking for parts-was planning to buy a complete front-end but there absolutely aren't any around here.By the way,I have noticed on my yearly winter trips to Utah that the overall prices on 4 wheel drive trucks,Heeps and such is drastically lower than here in the southeast,both new and used trucks.Anyway,I have been hoping for a while to find a decent D60 for around 2 large that I can throw gears and an ARB into but it's looking less and less likely to happen.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like I said, if you want complete and cheap, PM muddog, I think his e-mail is still muddobber40@yahoo.com. I bought a D60/14bolt combo from him for $2k shipped. 4.56 gears, detroit in the 14, l/s in the 60. Expensive to some, but in cherry shape and nearly to my doorstep. I completely disassembled them and NOTHING needed replacing.

6. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I was going to do just that cuz I was having issues finding a complete one around here. Bought a housing and started pricing it out. I would say that you could prob build one for around 2k. That would be with new kingpins, bearings, srw hubs and rotors. Most everything else you can find used. Youll just have to be paitent. Once I bought my housing and had a few more parts for it I ended up buying a complete one and transfering everything over to the bare housing that I bought. I transfered everything to the other housing cuz it had the gears I wanted. It is still costing me more to go about it this way then if I were to buy a complete used one. For 3800 I would think you could basicly buy everything new and build one.

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I take it your from Destin???

There are a few junk yards in Crestview and Baker that have quite a few 1 tons in them (not to say they have a complete D60). One of them is C&j salvage (850) 537-9501 , then you have Garry's auto salvage in Crestview (not the one in Ft Walton), and AA auto salvage in Crestview. Keep in mind if you call these people they claim to have nothing but everytime I go in person I have found what I needed. Another good one is on 85 going to baker. Can't remember the name but have a great selection of older car and truck stuff all the way into the 30's/40's and is very reasonable. If you want directions just pm me.

8. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

Have you seen this D60 in the for sale section?

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

if you're gonna buy one, just order a new one from Dynatrac or some place like that. it's cheaper in the long run, you can spec it how you want it, and EVERYTHING is new.

10. destinbeachman

Thanks JEBSR,I'll give them a try.I'm also checking with a few guys on here.Yup,I'm from Destin-use my truck quite a bit here pulling equipment onto and off of the beach for my business.Been busy with these storms.Thanks again.