Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Caliper Grind.... Is this too much?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Jul 17, 2006.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Working on grinding down the my Dana 60 calipers for the 15 inch rims. Finally got one down to where it doesn't grind. However, it sure seems thin. These seem to be quite a bit thinner than the article write up in the technical section.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I had to grind off quite a bit of the outside of the pin that holds the caliper off, is that going to be an issue? I just want to be sure this is going to be safe. Sure seems like I took a lot of metal off.
    Thanks for the help.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Its pretty damn tough to tell from your picture, but I would guess that you are fine to run it.

3. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Sorry, the pic's don't seem to show how thin it is. Someone calm me down! I am afraid I am going to have to go to 16's, and I have brand new 15 Boggers I have never used! :eek1: :D

4. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

chill out, calm down, take a breath.........you asked for someone.........the pistons aren't showing so that is one good sign. All you can do is test it out, the big test is going to be when the brakes get real hot, it is a little hard to tell from the pics.

5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

There is less than a 1/4 inch of metal around the hole. I also had to grind a valley down at the bottom of the caliper, resulting the missing part of the pin (the ragged part at the bottom). When I resized the pic's all the detail was lost it looks like. From the outside of the caliper there is valley back up to inside of the hole. Also the outside of the caliper holder on the top is pretty thin as well. I can email full size pic's if someone has done this and is willing to check it out.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This is my expirance ginding calipers it seems the chevy calipers can take quite a bit of grinding because they are of the single piston design. I have helped grind several that I thought may be too thin and they are all still working with no problems. I think you will be fine

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I ground the **** out of mine and around the hole in the center is about 1/8" thick but it gets thicker as you go away from the center. I also removed about 1/2 of the plate that locks the caliper in place and I have had no issues with mine.

Ira

8. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'd be willing to bed that its just fine. If worst came to worst, you can always get 15" wheels with 2.5" of backspacing, as those require NO caliper grinding, and they look cool/ stick out farther past the fender wells.

you could always just mail those 35" boggers to Georgia, heck you could even leave the dana 60 attached :haha:

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i run 3" bs and didnt worry about much grinding :)

you should be ok, if not, who needs brakes anyways?

10. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

the metal does get thin at the edge of the hole but if you look it gets thick very close to the hole ( like thicker then your thumb) you will be fine:D

11. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

sandawgk5- the clip that goes on top of the pin- how much of that did you have to grind?

So, best way to go out and test them? Just romp on the brakes a few times and then check for cracks or what?

Thanks guys! Most of the wheeling up here is up the side of mountians...... so of course you must come down. The pucker factor on some of the down parts is bad enough with brakes you trust. Leaves you tasting seat cushion for a little while. :rolleyes: :D

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I took more than half of the top of the tab away. The other part is still between the bracket and caliper so I am not worried about it.

Ira