Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Carrier Bearing Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Aug 25, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, obsticle #2.

I was going to do an ARB locker install on the newfound D60, but I realize now I do not have the master rebuild kit which I thought I had. I have just an install kit (that came with the new spicer gears). It does not have the carrier bearings, among other things. I did order a master install kit, but that is still somewhere in the mail.

I decieded to reuse the old gears, since they are 4.56 and look fairly good (and I dont have to set them :o ). I will keep the new spicers for spare.

Well, I cannot seem to get the carrier bearings off the carrier. I am using the exact method in the tech article ( http://coloradok5.com/arbinstall.shtml ), with the exeption of a few pieces from my balljoint press instead of the socket. I have a piece of wood in the center of the carrier (where the shafts go) to keep the tool form 'walking' around on the surface. I cant get that bearing to bugde. Im using my extended flex ratchet, the bearing puller, gear puller on that, and a prybar wedged between the side gears and the carrier to help the carrier from spinning. Even took the impact to it, but the pipe started to walk around the surface, even with the wood holding it (almost broke it). Its even starting to scratch the carrier.

Does anyone else have any ideas or comments??? Looks like this isnt going to get done for a few days :mad:

(I am only taking the bearings off to use them for mock-up, and to measure the shim thicknesses. If there is a way around that, I dont NEED to take the bearings off... Any thoughts???)

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You might try the freezer, and torch(heat) method :crazy: