Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 carrier problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by short sub, Apr 28, 2005.

1. short sub

short sub Registered Member

i just installed a new carrier in my D60- i used the same shims as it had before and followed the instructions as Detroit tells you to. I just went to install it and with the bearing caps on it has roughly 1/2" gap on both sides??? This unit is outta my friends 87 D60 and mine is a 77 model. I dont think that the differential would be different between the two years, but how could it be so loose within it? I have had the axle apart many times but i am stumped as to why its doing this. On my previous carrier, for some reason the bearings could slide off and on without needing to be pressed so thats why i changed it- could that have an effect on something now? appreciate the help Thanks Ryan

2. dan dibble

dan dibble Registered Member

There are two carriers availible for the dana 60. 2:73-4:11 then 4:56-7:17. I bet this is your problem. Ring gear placement is the difference. Lift your old carrier up to the new one and compair them.

Dan

Or one of the axles may have been a 61 but not likely

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

So theres 1/2" between the bearing races and the housing? The case splits shouldnt effect the overall width of the detroit, but where the ring gear mouts(more to the right if its a slow case).

4. dan dibble

dan dibble Registered Member

Yes, the bearing surfaces should be the same. I somehow thought he was talking about the gear.

Dan