Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 carrier removal w/o case spreader???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DukeBoy88, Oct 11, 2004.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I'm having trouble removing the carrier on my D60. been using a pry bar so far. any tricks or tips you can pass on or will I need a case spreader? thanks in advance.

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm having trouble removing the carrier on my D60. been using a pry bar so far. any tricks or tips you can pass on or will I need a case spreader? thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

No case spreader needed.
    I have tried several different methods and this is by far the easiest way to remove the carrier:
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Remove the carrier caps.
    Grab a 3/4" box end wrench and put it on one of the ring gear bolts...
    Now grab the pinion yoke and turn it until that wrench wedges itself against the bottom of the diff housing.
    ...Now grab a big socket on a breaker bar for the pinion nut, or a big ass crecent wrench that will fit on the pinion yoke to get some leverage.
    Turn that pinion yoke some more the way you were turning it, and the gear mesh between the ring and pinion will walk the carrier out of the housing. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

...Make sure you have someone right there to catch the carrier, or build a mound of pillows and blankets if theres no one to help you catch it.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    Wait till you see how easy this works. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

brilliant......

absolutley brilliant!

Marv

4. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No case spreader needed.
    I have tried several different methods and this is by far the easiest way to remove the carrier:
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Remove the carrier caps.
    Grab a 3/4" box end wrench and put it on one of the ring gear bolts...
    Now grab the pinion yoke and turn it until that wrench wedges itself against the bottom of the diff housing.
    ...Now grab a big socket on a breaker bar for the pinion nut, or a big ass crecent wrench that will fit on the pinion yoke to get some leverage.
    Turn that pinion yoke some more the way you were turning it, and the gear mesh between the ring and pinion will walk the carrier out of the housing. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

...Make sure you have someone right there to catch the carrier, or build a mound of pillows and blankets if theres no one to help you catch it.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    Wait till you see how easy this works. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just popped it out with a crow bar, but I had an open carrier? It was also a D60 rear.

5. Ryan B.

Yah, open carriers are easier cause you can stick a crowbar or a pipe in the opening and leverage it out..
    I had to use my removal method for my ARB carrier (or a detroit) which doesn't have any holes in the carrier. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

2 big prybars. One on the top and one on the bottom on the left side of the carrier. Should come right out.

7. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

wrap a strap around it and pull it out with another vehicle. Make a pile of rags or pillows for it to land on. I used an M925 for the pull vehicle, but i am sure a smaller vehicle could get it out. Just remeber to chock the back wheels of the truck.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How have you gotten them back in with that much preload without a spreader? I removed my carrier with the method you described /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (thanks), but am having trouble getting it back in with the same amount of total shims. I could install it loose but don't want to. I am thinking about making a homemade spreader unless I can figure out a way around it.

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

If its a Powr-Lok, I used a crowbar on one of the bolt heads that hold the case halves together. Both sides would come up together but just a little. Then I used a screwdriver in the gap between the case and the side bearings. Sounds complicated after typing it, but works pretty easily. Getting it back in. ... holding the side bearing races in place I gently drop the carrier in place. Of course it'll only go about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down. Then I use a brass drift to gently tap it the rest of the way in. Its also important to tap the side bearing in place (so that it's evenly seated on the bearing) as you tap it down. It'll be a little askew from when you dropped it in there. If you try to pound it down in place like that it could score your races. Again ... that part is not nearly as hard as it sounds either.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

If cou cant get it in the preload might be too tight. Otherwise, put the left side in, and tilt the right race. Push the right side in, then tap the race back over the bearing. Make sense? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif When I try and describe diff stuff, I know exactly what to do but it doesnt seem to make sense.

11. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

That worked almost too well. wish I would of thought of that. hopefully the shims get me close on the reinstall so I don't have to repeat the process too much. thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Ryan B.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

When setting up the gears, did you grab some old carrier bearings and hone them out to make them as "mock up" bearings so you can add and remove shims without having to press on the bearing every time? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    To install it, i just get both races started, then drop the carrier in getting your fingers the f' outta the way. A rubber mallet should tap it in the rest of the way, otherwise its too tight.

13. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I'll be setting them up tomorrow, good idea for a set of install bearings, I'll have to see if I have any available to modify. these are the first D60's I've owned. wish they all could be as easy as a 14FF to set up.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If not precision makes set up bearing kits.

15. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll be setting them up tomorrow, good idea for a set of install bearings, I'll have to see if I have any available to modify. these are the first D60's I've owned. wish they all could be as easy as a 14FF to set up.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the old bearings that came off the carrier? Make those slip on bearings.