Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 Carriers with no shims?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Apr 18, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I just pulled the carrier out my D60 to put inner seals in. There was no a single shim in there! After removing the bearing caps, the carrier came out without any major effort (just a tug) using just my hands. Other than needing 2 more hands to keep the bearing races in place, it went back in by hand too. No bumping with a mallet required.

Now, I’m thinking I’m screwed. I’ve never heard of a carrier with NO shims. It’s always been my understanding that the carrier is a bit over sized so you can use shims to move the ring left and right relative to the pinion. I figure someone has been in here and just said “screw the shims, too much trouble”, and pitched them. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Now what? The wear on the ring and pinion looks fine to my untrained eye so it seems that the little I’ve used it has caused no damage. I can feel no play in the carrier by hand. So, what do I do? Say screw it and run it since this is a low speed off-road only rig? Get a set of shims, a setup kit, marking compound, dial indicator, etc and try to set it up? Without a starting point, how does one go about doing that?

2. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Now you know Dana axles are shimmed behind the bearings not like a gm axle.There was no shims under the carrier bearings?Kinda wierd.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You hit it right on the head. I just found out about Dana axles putting shims between the bearings and the carrier. I didn't know that. I expected to have shims trying to fall out when I removed the carrier. When there were none, I panicked. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I've heard of carriers like that, and people cursing because of repeatedly pressing the bearings on and off swapping shims, but didn't think about Danas being one of them.

Ahhh, takes a weight off my mind. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif